Engine problem, please help

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal70westy

Reaction score
Hi guys hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on my current problem with my engine. In September 2014 it had a full top end rebuild and pistons and barrels upgraded to 1641 with twin carb setup. In March I had a brand new Bosch starter motor fitted along with alternator. Basically everything is new apart from the battery and I'm not sure if this is where my problem lies.
Right the problem, the van starts up first turn from cold every time, drives absolutely fantastic. It has great pickup and cruises along at 65 easily. But the problem is when I have been out for a run of above 30 minutes and come to a stop and switch off and go to restart there is either a very slow turnover and then nothing at all or sometimes it will slowly turnover and after about 5-6 turns ( this will last about 10-15 seconds, maybe longer) it will eventually start and be fine. I have spoke to the mechanic and he is unsure what it could be. We have had a voltmeter sat on the battery after a run and it reads fine. It charges fine but once switched off the volt will drop but very little.
This happens every time I go out and it annoys me because I really want to use her a lot more but at the minute i go to shows and that is about it because I know that when I switch off it will probably not start. Once the van has been left to cool for about 20-30 minutes and try to start it it starts straight up.
So like I said if anyone could shed any light on this it would be greatly appreciated and if you need any more info about what it does please contact me because I really want to sort this out.
Cheers, Callam.

Think you need a hot starter relay installed? Google it or search it on here, there's mixed views on it

Hi, sounds like it's hot starting. Do a search for this as loads of talk previously. Also check your connections on the starter.

Hope you get it sorted!

I`ll also go for the hot starter relay, but that is more of a patch that will make the whole system work `better`. I think you really need to find where the fault is first. The very first thing I`d do is check the earths and the best way in my opinion is to take the earths off and clean them up and just check them over, start with the one from the body to the battery and clean and inspect both ends, then the earth from the gearbox to the body, then look at all your starter connections and use a meter and see where the juice is going. If you have it not starting, then you can also try helping the earths with some jump leads to assist in various places to give you a little indication that you are on the right track, so earths first as its free ;) Then next guess is ignition switch, but try and prove what it is with a meter before you spend dosh on willy nilly changing components :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, Leck tricks,,,,,,, Work of the devil :mrgreen: