Engine removal questions

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoddy

Reaction score
Hi All,

Think I'm just about ready to remove my engine for first time and got just a couple of questions :-

Do I need to support the gearbox (71 bus)?

As I look at the engine I've undone one nut from behind fan housing on right side. The other 3 look to be accessed from underneath bus?

Cheers
Craig

Top two connections are easiest to get to if you keep the gearbox unsupported and drop both down for access - just enough to get at them
One is the starter motor D Bolt and the other is the top gearbox nut

With these two removed - jack the engine back up and support the gearbox - I usually use an axle stand
With the engine and gearbox supported remove the bottom two nuts from the box and pull the engine to the rear and free of the gearbox.

Make sure the heater tubes and cables are disconnected and accelerator cable is pulled through from the other side to rest ontop of the gearbox.

Drop the engine down and pull out on the trolley jack - quickest I have managed it is an hour so far and thats with twin carbs! Have to remove the manifolds and carbs before dropping engine down!!

Good luck - it gets easier the more times you remove it

Cheers fella....just answered a question for me I forgot to ask too re accelerator cable! I've disconnected but was wondering how you removed thru fan housing.

Got one of the top nuts off already be sticking hand behind fan housing. Can see the other 3 bolts from under back of engine. Everything else sorted. I'll get box supported on some blocks ....not high enough up for axle stand (less drop for engine on first go!).

Got a helper ready so tomorrow eve is d-day!

Cheers.

When you come to put it back in. Make sure the ground is smooth, so use a board if the ground's knobbly.
Otherwise, you'll not be able to tell if it's misaligned or just stuck on a boulder.

Latest posts