Engine trouble revving

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magoo

Reaction score
My rebuilt 1776 with 1200 miles on the clock just about made the journey home. Did about 2 hours on the motorway today at 55 - 60 mph, came off the motorway and stopped at the lights. The engine continued to roar as if it was still running at speed. Stopped the engine immediately and it wouldn't restart right away. Gave it about 5 mins rest and it restarted first time, bit noisy at first, but settled down quickly and was fine driving 30 mph through the town to get home. Any ideas why?

What carbs and linkage are you using?
Sounds like they didn't return the idle position after the motorway run.
Check the linkage and carb return springs are moving freely

Twin Weber ICH's with Scat centre linkage. There seems to be movement ok, what would free them up if they were sticking?

What throttle linkage are you using too?
Have you installed a buttys bits one?
I used to have to wedge my foot under the accelerator pedal to bring the revs back down after a decent run as it wouldnt pop up on its own
Buttys linkage sorted this issue.

If your accelerator pedal is fine it sounds like the heat of the engine after a long run is maybe expanding some of the metal parts and dragging on your cable
Try to adjust the cable and see if it reduces the tension

Pic of the engine bay and cable setup could help too

I was trying to upload a pic, but none of my data cables are working. I think you might be onto something with the accelerator pedal end, I've noticed it sticking slightly on slower journeys, 65 mph exaggerates the issue! I was going to fit the Butty's kit, but the non-stock look put me off originally, may not have a choice now.

Can't recommend the buttys bits kit enough
Not noticable from anywhere except under the vehicle

Sounds like the pedal could be the issue then - easy fix!

It was this image which made me think that the original stock cab area would look too different.

9058574.jpg

If the pedal was sticking, could a new return spring help or did you need the whole kit?

Mine is a LHD so the only difference was under the bus.
Guess the pic you have posted is perhaps of the rhd version?

The install is photographed in my thread although not sure of the page.

Next time you go for a long run and it sounds like it's over revving just pop your foot under the pedal and see if it raises, might just require an adaptation to your driving style if the kit isn't your cup of tea?

Although when under the rubber matt and hidden who would know!

Will see if I can find the pic of my install :D

Here you go!

Standard throttle (under pedal)

Buttys linkage fitted

Nothing changed in the cab area other than the rod connecting to the bottom of the pedal

Haha found it on page 18 after all your Euro adventures and breakdowns! Come to think of it, the jumpy first gear acceleration, the squeaky pedal and the sticking pedal could do with an entire upgrade. Welcome to the 21st Century dear old van.

Latest posts