European Insurance Cover……BE WARNED.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had similar rear quarter damage to my bus when I rolled back down a car park ramp and hit a pillar (also in Spain). Just make sure the bed above the engine hasn't folded slightly as mine did. I didn't realise until 20 years after the incident that mine had suffered in this way.

We are insured via Adrian Flux with Markerstudy. Off to Spain/France at the end of the month so got me very worried. Phoned AF who have added full comprehensive cover at no additional cost once I gave them the dates and destinations. Hope i don't find out if MS claims service is any good or not!!

I'll stick up for the insurance industry here.

I'm responsible for a European supply chain which covers motor claim's (please don't all gang up on me). Yes any insurance company could provide a gold plated claims service which would have been proactive and collected the vehicle and shipped it back but would we buy that policy. On the whole people are driven by the price and the industry complete for their business......and the service suffers.

My advice would be to try to contact Markerstudy directly (via LinkedIn is good). Or pick up all the costs and hope they make a recovery on your out of pocket expenses

It's never a great experience having a claim and the industry needs to up it's game.

Hope you get back ok

Mmm, that could mean many things !
Have you looked at the policy conditions?
First worry is that your underwriter is based in Malta.
Second worry is clause 9.1 relating to foreign travel only provides you with 3rd party cover.
Clause 9.2 however relates to extended foreign cover……have you got this on your policy, If not you are 3rd party only !!
A good proportion of the UK insurance market is 'based' Malta or Gibraltar. Just a tax thing and nothing to worry about

I'll stick up for the insurance industry here.

I'm responsible for a European supply chain which covers motor claim's (please don't all gang up on me). Yes any insurance company could provide a gold plated claims service which would have been proactive and collected the vehicle and shipped it back but would we buy that policy. On the whole people are driven by the price and the industry complete for their business......and the service suffers.

My advice would be to try to contact Markerstudy directly (via LinkedIn is good). Or pick up all the costs and hope they make a recovery on your out of pocket expenses

It's never a great experience having a claim and the industry needs to up it's game.

Hope you get back ok
Actually what you say is not so much sticking up for them but making excuses for them.
I wasn’t so much looking for a “ gold plated “ service but would expect any insurance company to honour their promises in their publicity material. In particular I would expect them to be contactable by their brokers within a reasonable time. AF admitted that they experience major problems with Markerstudy. If I have a broker who is pulling all the stops out to contact the underwriter ( and they were) then why should I have to try to contact them via LinkedIn, seems ridiculous to me.
My accident was last Thursday , I am thankfully on the ferry returning home. Markerstudy have been atrocious and have not been able to provide me with a number for a breakdown service in the event that my attempts to limp home ( saving them considerable pounds ) fails.
In your attempt to “stick up for “ the insurance industry you suggest that I pick up all the costs and “ hope “ they pay me back……..what sort of insurance is that?
I‘m not having a go at you and obviously there are reputable and competent insurance companies out there but, Markerstudy is most definitely not amongst them.
So far as a company basing themselves outside the Uk is concerned, yes it is beneficial to them for tax purposes, it is also extremely beneficial to them in the event of legal proceedings being taken against them. This is akin to banks and financial institutions ….would you consider investing in an institution whose Registered office is in Malta ? to do so goes against all advice, google Malta finance and banks and see how risky their country is on many fronts.

That is really odd. I completed the online quote form but it didn’t recognise the engine size nor the year “ J” only K and L. It didn’t give a quote so I rang them with the ref of my quote and was told that whilst he didn’t have a list of those specific vehicles which they did not cover it was clear that their records etc would not allow cover. He said quite a few American imports were not covered. Mine is a 1971 Californian import. Have you been with Admiral for long, also is your van a second vehicle on a multi car policy ?I was surprised as your avatar photo of your van is a doppelganger of mine!
Unless I have some kind of Grandfather rights with the policy due to the length of time I’ve held it? It is indeed a multi car policy along with our home insurance. We have an agreed valuation with them, so they’ve got pictures and details of it, yet never been flagged as a concern. Similarly, it never comes up using the reg plate in their system so we have to do it the old-fashioned way of age, model, engine size etc.

Unless I have some kind of Grandfather rights with the policy due to the length of time I’ve held it? It is indeed a multi car policy along with our home insurance. We have an agreed valuation with them, so they’ve got pictures and details of it, yet never been flagged as a concern. Similarly, it never comes up using the reg plate in their system so we have to do it the old-fashioned way of age, model, engine size etc.
I think that is probably the reason, Their online system didn’t recognise mine so thought that it could be done over the phone. Sadly not although what I’ve arranged with Hegarty seems a good policy and friendly T’s and C’s.

sorry about accident
are marker study for motor trade cos i have a m/trade policy but vw seperate policy
try coops ins brokers cheam ian is the md did post it a while back
had a row with kgm now with ageas agrred value

sorry about accident
are marker study for motor trade cos i have a m/trade policy but vw seperate policy
try coops ins brokers cheam ian is the md did post it a while back
had a row with kgm now with ageas agrred value
Hi,
seems lots of brokers use Markerstudy. My earlier post deals with some of the foreign travel terms with KGM.
on ferry back home, under my own steam , zilch help from Markerstudy….glad I’ve now ditched them.

Latest posts