Exhaust Options

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgeyv

Reaction score
Afternoon all -

Just pulled the engine from the van to replace alternator and fit twin 34ICT carbs - the exhaust is a sorry looking standard system so I was looking at potential replacements.

I know the Vintage Speed is widely regarded as a winner - though it's a bit more than I want to spend.

Is there an alternative which would fit the bill for a stock part replacement? I am currently lost in a sea of 4 into 1 headers etc.

I'd like to keep the heat exchangers but obviously lose the heat risers with the stock carb being swapped out for a set of Webers.

Yes Yes Yes , ^^^ what he just said, you`ll like it ,sounds very very nice, looks good. Can`t lose. It`s stainless.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Sell it in three years and get your money back ( mostly)

I've been pleased with the Vintagespeed. It looks right on the bus to me. I'm not over-keen on some of the solutions that hang down under the bumper waiting to be torn off or crushed when you reverse up to an earth bank (ask me how I know :)) . Horses for courses though!

Bobster said:
Have to admit, I'm torn between vintage speed or CSP at the moment

Is the other one stainless too ? The only thing I will say against the Vintage Speed on a standard engine is they are starting to get as common as muck :shock: p :shock: :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, maybe there's a reason ? ;) :mrgreen: ;)

I switched from a Vintage Speed to a Turbo Thomas stock style exhaust. If you cut in half a VS exhaust there's basically nothing there apart from the chambers either side so the gases don't flow.

The TT exhaust was more expensive, however it's the internal design that's key.

Since the switch I can feel a difference in performance and you can tell by the noise that it's flowing as it should. I used to get a build up of gas in the VS which would create a popping noise every now and again, even after the engine had been set up on a rolling road.

I have to take my hat off to VS though as they've done a fantastic job in marketing their products, however after talking with Richard @ TT my mind was made up. If you look at his Facebook page you'll see that his main client base are the Porsche guys these days which speaks volumes to me.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/TT-Exhausts-143724902393323/videos/?ref=page_internal

kempy said:
I switched from a Vintage Speed to a Turbo Thomas stock style exhaust. If you cut in half a VS exhaust there's basically nothing there apart from the chambers either side so the gases don't flow.

The TT exhaust was more expensive, however it's the internal design that's key.

Since the switch I can feel a difference in performance and you can tell by the noise that it's flowing as it should. I used to get a build up of gas in the VS which would create a popping noise every now and again, even after the engine had been set up on a rolling road.

I have to take my hat off to VS though as they've done a fantastic job in marketing their products, however after talking with Richard @ TT my mind was made up. If you look at his Facebook page you'll see that his main client base are the Porsche guys these days which speaks volumes to me.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/TT-Exhausts-143724902393323/videos/?ref=page_internal

My views on VS exhausts are well known, but on a stock engine with twin ICTs the VS will work fine.
My singleport drove lovely with twin 34s and a VS system.

Get a turbo Thomas or a 4 into 1, CSP if you can afford it.
A vintage speed is £400 stock exhaust, so pricey and restrictive. Yeah great... :roll:

Interesting read here - its from a few years ago but the information is still good!

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=722349

It seems the majority of the replies that you'll ever get on a 'which exhaust' thread revolve around how much power you can squeeze from an engine. Something worth bearing in mind is whether you plan on fitting a tow bar at any point. The majority of designs that eek out maximum power will not be suitable for fitting a tow bar. Similarly, you might have other wants, looks, sound, build quality, ease of carrying out other engine maintenance are all worth considering.

When we changed our exhaust to VS it was due to the standard one rusting away before my eyes and I really liked the look of the VS.
Running a 1600 with Twin 34's and a Gadget Tow Bar I didnt really have a huge list of options for a replacement.
The quality of the VS is amazing and it sounds good. Maybe it is restrictive as you get up into 2ltr motors and beyond but they seem to work well enough on Baz's bus 2+ litre and even Pete has a 2.0 16v Scooby engine hooked upto his.

If you are running an all out performance race motor and need to squeeze every last single bhp and ounce of torque they might not be the best solution but then in that case custom is probably best or one of those amazing looking CSP jobbies!!

Wonder if you can adjust the tappets and change the oil with one connected or run a tow bar? Look incredible though!

I've just driven 320 miles to Cornwall pulling my Puck. It's the first real journey since replacing the VS for the Turbo Thomas exhaust.

My engine is only a 1641 with twin 40's, but what a difference. Apart from sounding and feeling smoother (no more popping etc..)
The van 100% climbed those A30 hills better than last year.

My wife even commented on the difference!

Do the peoples with Turbo Thomas exhausts have pictures of theirs to share?
My VS just started rattling like I'm pulling a set of pans and pots behind the bus. I don't seem to be the only one with that phenomenon.

Karlos mentioned in another thread that it's just mild steel on the inside so hope it can be welded.
Their customer service is great though, they never replied to my question if it can be fixed or if I can get a crash replacement. So that's good and makes the decision quite a bit easier.

Is TT able to build something that looks equaly good as the VS? because that was the best part of the VS, looks....

Thread resurrection....
Mine's the hideaway version so you can't see it unless you're lying on the floor. It's tucked up out of the way and exits behind the offside rear wheel.
I'll take some more pics of it tomorrow, but the engine isn't in the bus.
Have a look at Rich's website http://www.ttexhausts.com/

I had already been on their website. There isn't much info, you just get an idea.
That's why I asked here hoping someone would have pics, preferably for a stockstyle large bore Baywindow muffler.
The pics on his website seem to be without heaterboxes as well.
Was hoping for an alternative with equal length as oposed to the BAS which sits right at 1500€.

Here’s a couple of pics of my TT exhaust from about 10 yrs ago complete with retained heat exchangers. I swapped it out for a VS when I couldn’t stand the noise any longer, much louder than the VS probably due to the box being tucked up at the side

76D837EC-D9E4-43A7-9995-9E1453905D01.jpegE360A5D9-D53D-4A46-A18A-676B9E1251D4.jpeg

Latest posts