Feeling underpowered.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velgreeno

Reaction score
Hey folks. Took my bus to work today and shes feeling like shes lacking in power and sluggish. Slow off a roundabout too. The engine runs fine but she feels like shes a 1200 as opposed to a 1600 and going up the hill the engine was revving but there was no "normal power" if that makes sense. She hasn't been out a while but haven't touched the engine apart from blocking the pipes on the carb. They were blocked off with bungs and they were perished to re blocked them. Im thinking maybe spark plugs, maybe the carb has a problem. Old petrol maybe.. Its really strange. Theres no smoke too. What do we think folks ? Cheers. 🤙.

Could be carb, I was talking to a bloke on same campsite the other day and he was saying that he bought a 2nd hand carb, Solex I think, got it refurbished and it made a huge difference to the standard Pict one. Maybe the carb just needs readjusting? Especially since you've replugged something.

Check vacuum advance is connected and there are no leaks. Also, suck on the advance pipe with the dizzy cap removed and check the advance plate in the dizzy moves.

Cheers for the replies so far folks. Well before work today. I had a potter around and just let her run. Strangely on the carb i took the left pipe i blocked off because it thought the bung was missing and really oddly she ran better. There were a few tiny pops but when she warmed up she ran better. Now on my distributor she dont have the vacuum set up. She runs fine or so i think she does combined with electronic ignition as i got rid of points. Anyway now im thinking get a vacuum distributor. I know there is less heat with them etc. I know some engines have them and some dont. What you folks got on your engines and how do they run for you with and without vacuum.? I really should know all this but Its been a long day, brain isn't working as usual and apologies if this dont make sense. 🤙.

Last edited:

Latest posts