Fire suppression system for early bays

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay&Kay

Reaction score
My friend has recommended that I get a fire suppression system for my 1971 early bay. Apparently there's a risk of the engine bursting into flames? Does anyone know about this?

If the fuel system is neglected and the fuel pipes are suspect then this can contribute to causing a fire.
Also, a lot of people put the fuel filter in the engine compartment which can lead to issues if this fails etc.
Otherwise should be good.

As above. A fire extinguisher is not a bad idea, for peace of mind. First thing to do though is check the fuel lines are 100% ethanol resistant and your filter is by the gearbox out of the engine bay. A fuel cut off solenoid is also a great addition so that fuel supply is switched off when the ignition is off.

This is a good site for info
https://www.vwaircooledworks.co.uk/

Attachments

• DD0-C5-FAF-B8-CA-429-F-8963-767-E6-D831119.jpg
    DD0-C5-FAF-B8-CA-429-F-8963-767-E6-D831119.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 3
  • DD0-C5-FAF-B8-CA-429-F-8963-767-E6-D831119.jpg
    DD0-C5-FAF-B8-CA-429-F-8963-767-E6-D831119.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 4
As above. A fire extinguisher is not a bad idea, for peace of mind. First thing to do though is check the fuel lines are 100% ethanol resistant and your filter is by the gearbox out of the engine bay. A fuel cut off solenoid is also a great addition so that fuel supply is switched off when the ignition is off.

This is a good site for info
https://www.vwaircooledworks.co.uk/
Yeah I've heard VW Aircooled works are great. Thanks!

Fireboy is a great choice, if it's ever needed you will be glad you spent the money.
I commission their FM200 gas systems on super yachts, they are the nuts.
Doing a bit of work in my engine bay at the moment, Fireboy system to come when I've completed the work, hopefully at mates rates.

If the firestick.is not pressurised, how does ot work? Do they have to be pumped like a bike pump?

If you do go for an extinguisher / fire stick etc be sure to keep it handy. I keep mine behind the drivers seat where I can quickly grab it.
VW put the bracket for an extinguisher on the rear seat support. I've seen so many there - why not it's stock - well imagine noticing a fire and trying to get around to the other side of your bus and opening your slider to get at it - I don't think so!

Latest posts