First gear popping out

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrApollo

Reaction score
Hi, looking through the forum, and on the web, it seems that its not uncommon for gears to 'pop out' of T2s. I test drove a bus yesterday, generally appeared to be in very good condition, however, it wouldn't stay in first gear. Seemed to engage OK, got the bus moving, but just before the revs were high enough to think time to change to second, it 'popped out' by itself. The owner said it often did that, and just to put it in second anyway. The rest of the gears seemed fine, and there was no unexpected whining from the gearbox. Original 1970 engine and gearbox (supposedly). The owner seemed an honest chap and said that it was a minor job on his list of things to do over the winter. It's pretty much the only concern stopping me making an offer. I know its impossible to make a diagnosis from a short description, but what are the best and worst case scenarios here? I'm guessing it ranges from a minor adjustment to a new gearbox. I've never worked on a gearbox, and I'd like to start with a fully functioning bus before diving in there, so if I went for this one, it would be down the mechanic's to sort it out. What sort of costs are likely to be involved in the best, worst and most likely scenario?

Many thanks

If it pops out of gear there's an issue with the gearbox.
Probably around £600 for a strip down and rebuild. You'd have to send it off to John Walklett, Bears or Cogbox, as most normal gearbox places won't touch them.

Thanks for the feedback. Is £600 a conservative estimate, or a starting point?

Thanks again. I'm trying to figure out the maximum depth of the money pit I'm likely to fall into. That gives me a better idea.

Once you open up a gearbox, it could be as simple as new oil, a gasket set, and a selector fork, as the most likely suspect. The can of worms is this, is that bearing ok? Are those seals ok? New clutch plate perhaps? Flywheel seal etc etc etc. This is always the conundrum, do I just repair the iffy bit like the fork or do I change everything that don’t look like new on a fifty year old machine.

Ozziedog,,,, This also applies to most classics also. :mrgreen:

Hi if its pop out the gear then your engagement teeth are worn on the 1st and the sleeve.

MrApollo said:
Thanks for the feedback. Is £600 a conservative estimate, or a starting point?

send me pm, I can repair it for you at very competitive price.

Hi Thanks for the offer. We didn't go for that bus in the end. Very lovely, but expensive, and I wasn't going to spend that money with an unknown bill hanging over it. The owner very generously said he'd fixed it, then add the cost to the asking price. I believe it's still for sale...

Latest posts