Fitted drop spindles now tyres rubbing - advice needed pls

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davla

Reaction score
Front tyres rubbing on wheel arches when braking, going over bumps and cornering

Spec:

2" drop spindles on front
Dropped 1 spline on rear
5 Spoke SSP EMPI alloys ET20 offset
Tyres 195/70 R15 (too big - same diameter as standard)

Is anyone running 185/60 R15? Will they rub?? They're 2" smaller in diameter and 10mm narrower

Also thinking of fitting firmer front dampers???

I want to run van/commercial tyres and can get 185/60 R15, I appreciate that top speed will be affected but I can accept that

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=45111&p=605013&hilit=Lowering+gurus#p605013

This just about covers most things with lowering a bay. Firmer dampers will do virtually nothing however coil spring assisted shocks will help as the coils will assist your regular suspension to become firmer and a little harder to compress. So with lowering comes reduced suspension movements hence the rubbing because you have less suspension travel. So coil overs and smaller wheels and tyres will both help, as will raising the wheel arch internally (tubbing). Have a read , it takes a while to digest :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,, Been there,, :mrgreen:

Great, cheers, I'll take a read...

So now my brain is scrambled....

Ozziedog... you're using 16" shocks with 9" springs at 150lb? What's the rear of your spec then? i.e. how much lower than standard, wheel & tyre size and offset/ET?

The main issue I'm having is that the offset on these SSP 5 spoke wheels is too low (ET20), so they're fine at normal ride height but rub in the outer arch now lowered. I think I'm just going to stick my original steel wheels back on with lower profile tyres for now and go from there.

Thx for your advise

Latest posts