Fitting an electric screen washer

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petesavan

Reaction score
I have a 1968 van and have bought one of those electric windscreen washer systems from JK and have a few questions about connecting it up. Am I right in thinking that the + on the red motor that they supply must be connected to a positive wire under the dashboard somewhere and if so where's the best/easiest place? Could I just tap into the + part of the 12v supply/cigarette lighter socket as that's easily accessible since there's no radio fitted? Also where should the in-line fuse go? In line with the + wire or the - wire? And does the switch/push button go in the + or the - wire? I presume the + but will wait for confirmation.

It looks like the motor has to be bolted or screwed on somewhere using self tapping screws so where's the best/easiest place to do that? They provide a length of new hose with the kit so I guess it's best to use that to replace all of the old stuff as that might be perished somewhere anyway. I'm using the original water container by the way so are there any things I need to know about using that or should it be a fairly straightforward job?

And finally how does air get back into the water bottle as water is pumped out? The original bottle is designed to be pressurised and so would be completely sealed when in use, so does the air just get drawn in through the valve that you use to pump it up, or is some further modification required?

petesavan said:
I have a 1968 van and have bought one of those electric windscreen washer systems from JK and have a few questions about connecting it up. Am I right in thinking that the + on the red motor that they supply must be connected to a positive wire under the dashboard somewhere and if so where's the best/easiest place? Could I just tap into the + part of the 12v supply/cigarette lighter socket as that's easily accessible since there's no radio fitted? Also where should the in-line fuse go? In line with the + wire or the - wire? And does the switch/push button go in the + or the - wire? I presume the + but will wait for confirmation.

Anything that gives you 12V+ should be fine, especially as there's no radio fitted. Washer motors don't draw a lot of current. You might find that that supply isn't "switched"- so you'll be able to use your washer motor without the ignition being on- but is that really a problem?

It looks like the motor has to be bolted or screwed on somewhere using self tapping screws so where's the best/easiest place to do that? They provide a length of new hose with the kit so I guess it's best to use that to replace all of the old stuff as that might be perished somewhere anyway. I'm using the original water container by the way so are there any things I need to know about using that or should it be a fairly straightforward job?

Airbox springs to mind... should be pretty easy to locate off there- or maybe next to the bottle at the side, screwed into the "lip".

And finally how does air get back into the water bottle as water is pumped out? The original bottle is designed to be pressurised and so would be completely sealed when in use, so does the air just get drawn in through the valve that you use to pump it up, or is some further modification required?

Fair point, but the bottle is angled so that there's always a decent amount of air in there. It'll just expand as the water leaves, so when you open the lid to refill it, the air will rush in. I don't think it'll get up enough negative pressure to stop the water flow.

have a look at this recent thread which may help. There are a few others if you use the search option.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=58226&hilit=electric+washer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also for using the OG wiper switch as a washer control modification see here;

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=18970" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

have a look at this recent thread which may help. There are a few others if you use the search option.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=58226&hilit=electric+washer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also for using the OG wiper switch as a washer control modification see here;

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=18970" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts