Fitting engine hinge lid panel

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petesavan

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience of fitting an engine hinge lid panel such as this one from Just Kampers: http://www.justkampers.com/vw-t2-ba...ne-lid-hinge-panel-rear-for-t2-1967-1971.html?

I presume this is what you should use to replace the hinge attachment points on the bodywork for attaching the engine door? I need to get this done on my van and wondered what pitfalls there might be and what advice anyone can give me to pass on to whoever is doing the job for me. I presume the panel should be welded on, but could it also be attached using self tapping screws? Mine's a 1968 T2 by the way.

You have to line up the ribs in the new panel with the raised ribs on the flat cargo panel. Best to weld it in. After removing old panel (a messy job) I fitted engine lid to new hinge panel first and then attached in situ with clamps to make sure the gaps around engine lid were correct and lid would close. Then tack weld. Remove engine lid and complete welding.
Hope that helps.

Thank you very much for your reply, it does give me more of an idea what to do now. I did wonder about fixing the lid in place first so that the panel could be welded in exactly the right position, and so what you say confirms that. Do you have any photos of the one you did, either in progress or after completion? If so, they would be very useful for whoever I get to do the job on my van and if you could post them on here it would be very helpful, and I'd be extremely grateful.

Hi sorry for the delay - lots going on at work !
Maybe you have had the panel fitted by now?
I did try to upload some photos - unsuccessfully - can't figure out how to do it !
I do remember in my case also the panel behind was badly corroded and I had to fabricate this to
support the main hinge panel. Hopefully yours is not so bad and it was just a straight swop?
Good luck !
Cheers

Latest posts