For my next problem - throttle cable

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milfredo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long story shortened...

Original throttle cable never reached the carb arm with with any room for adjustment and if pulled with pliers, would not let the carb off the throttle.

I was convinced it was an incorrect cable so I installed a new one (well two as I kinked the first one). Worst job ever with the engine in a you are all alone under the van...

Anyway, the new cable is just as short as the old one and the old one didn't look remotely old.

I have a Butty Bits linkage at the front with the adjuster wound all the way in so it touch the floor of the cab. No room for adjustment there!

Ideally, I need two to three more centimetres on the cable to adjust it properly, what can I do? (please don't say install another cable!)

IMG_2261.jpeg
no slack to get it though and get the bolt correctly tight!

Just checking my orders and I ordered the one for the 68 -69 years! Feck arse and feck. That as a horrible job to install.

In need of a friend with ramps asap .:cry:

Any advice on how to get the engine end thought the firewall and into the tube easily? My tube through the fan shroud has been jubilee clipped in place, I guess to stop it pulling through.

Any advice on how to get the engine end thought the firewall and into the tube easily? My tube through the fan shroud has been jubilee clipped in place, I guess to stop it pulling through.
I’m trying to recall the setup on ours, but I’m pretty sure the tube should extend through the fan shroud and through the over-gearbox tin. This means it is easily accessible to poke the wire through when underneath the van. The use of a jubilee clip at the gearbox end will indeed help to stop it from pushing through whilst feeding the cable in. Has yours been cut shorter?

Empi universal throttle cable is what you want

Even better (and cheaper) than the Empi DIY kit is a combination of the following:

https://www.gsproducts.co.uk/7x19-stainless-steel-wire-rope/
https://www.gsproducts.co.uk/bzp-eye/
I fitted these last year as wasn’t happy with the hook end of the Empi kit, and have to say they are a noticeable improvement as the cable is far more flexible meaning the springs in the accelerator system easily keep the cable taught and straight.

Even better (and cheaper) than the Empi DIY kit is a combination of the following:

https://www.gsproducts.co.uk/7x19-stainless-steel-wire-rope/
https://www.gsproducts.co.uk/bzp-eye/
I fitted these last year as wasn’t happy with the hook end of the Empi kit, and have to say they are a noticeable improvement as the cable is far more flexible meaning the springs in the accelerator system easily keep the cable taught and straight.
it looks as though you need crimps for this? I like the fixed cable I fitted as it was simple, it just wasn't long enough.

Still puzzled how one would draw it through though.

check the cable tube has not been modified or rerouted slightly. Get that jubilee clip off and put back to stock. I've seen stranger things on other peoples T2's

it looks as though you need crimps for this? I like the fixed cable I fitted as it was simple, it just wasn't long enough.

Still puzzled how one would draw it through though.
It would need the eyelet crimping, you are correct. However, this can be done by the vendor themselves before posting, or if you’re creative with a vice, a suitable crimp can be fashioned this way (bear in mind the cable takes very little strain load!)

I added a smoothed blob of epoxy on the cut end before feeding it through the cable tubes on the bus. It stops the cable fraying or snagging as it is fed through. Even with this very flexible wire rope, I had no issues poking it through whilst adding a damn good smear of grease as it went in.

check the cable tube has not been modified or rerouted slightly. Get that jubilee clip off and put back to stock. I've seen stranger things on other peoples T2's
The engine would need to come out to get at it as it is right behind the fan shroud. I guess it's been added to stop the tube pushing through. Maybe it makes fitting the cable easier if up on ramps and doing it solo?

Lots of ideas to try once the new cable arrives.

Simplest was to do that is to pass a piece of wire through from the engine bay side (straightened coat hanger or similar, tape the cable to it and pull through, doesnt need much tape, done it loads of times. Don't over complicate it.

We always use the Empi universal one and never had any issues with the hook end, run them on all our buses and customers, they are better as they are braided like a bike brake cable rather than being rigid like the original ones so much easier to thread through once you cut the late bay end off.