• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

FOR SALE : '69 Tin Top, California Bus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wishart

Reaction score
*Offically up for sale - Nothing against the bus at all, and believe me when I say this is NOT an easy pill to swallow :( (ive only just got back into the earlybay scene after the mistake of selling my first bus)

Anyhoo - some of you may recognise this one as it was up for sale not too long ago, and i think a couple of you may have gone to view it. But, in the 4-5 months that Ive owned it, ive had it serviced, set up the brakes, new bushes in gear linkage, original ignition barrel returned to operation, and generally tweaked here and there to keep it running nicely. I took the large flat panelling out of the roofrack (still have it if needed) and adjusted its position to suit my taste... and added a cheap plastic badge to the front instead of the (horrific) spare wheel mounted on the front!

- Its a sound bus, starts every single time - like its excited about the journey to follow, drives and holds the road really, really well. Absolutely no wandering around when a lorry passes you!
- The engine is a 1641cc which was rebuilt by a previous owner, and runs really sweetly - but there is an occasional cutting out after a long journey which i am having sorted out just now, so wont be a problem.
- Brakes are spot on - drums all round but are adjusted just right so no worries. A lot of the system was renewed before i got it: All major parts replaced front to rear, new master cylinder, shoes and flexi hose pipes.
- The extremely loud single glass pack exhaust has gone (thankfully) and ive had it replaced with a stock back box and single beetle pipe for the time being.
- The shifting between gears wasnt great (pot luck if you hit the gear you wanted) so I took the quick shift kit out of it and had it all tightend up. Feels much better now!
- New Anti roll bar, ball joints, battery, carb, rewire with indicaters and side light all wires checked and replaced.

- Body wise: its an original paint bus in Montana Red (popular colour for that era) which has some lovely paint fade/patina/sunburn in places. It is "ratty" but not in a bad way.
- There are a few bangs and bashes here and there - mostly around where the spare wheel was carried on the front clip - and there has been some classic American 'bondo' repairs round the left rear quarter. But, to me this does add a little character.
- There is some retro striping down the sides which i love!
- Gutters are all in really good condition.
- Windows are all tight, had repairs to the front windscreen which looks rough but is amazingly watertight!
- Original westy louvered windows in the middle - another cool original feature.
- It is a Westfalia bus, and retains a few original features - most of the interior was sold off, but the buddy seat is still there, as is 2/3s of the original wood headlining and side panel trims. Original seats up front but they are a bit tatty. Original padded dash - im afraid its had two holes cut for various sound systems at some point though.
- Cab floor is generally good - will need a small repair near the base of the accelarator pedal for next MOT. Main floor in the back is good, but again would benefit from some small repairs.
- Chassis is solid, cant see anywhere that needs work at all.
- It has been lowered slightly - cut and turned beam up front (no adjusters) and a spline at the back.
- There is HOOGE full width rock and roll bed in the back with new cushion all round. Slept in it a few times now and its great!! The covers are a bit dated, but I have had a quote for around £800 to retrim the entire interior front to back. I'll pass this on with the bus.

I had some nice plans for this one, which sadly I wont be able to see through - new interior, slam job and detailed wheels was what i planned.... someone else should do it! I think the bus has bags of potential waiting to be realised! MOT till February 2011, tax exempt.... Have a look folks, and if you are interested, please drop me a line. To put a price on it... Id be looking for offers around £6800. Im in Northampton and viewings are welcomed - can take more pics if you are interested :)

Some pics:

As it was when I bought it:

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24339&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Camper9.jpg

Some more recent pics...
58340_477617188131_564753131_6880643_5722894_n.jpg

60581_1618657152741_1425755951_1680590_633524_n.jpg

60581_1618658152766_1425755951_1680613_4227114_n.jpg

44343_465084498131_564753131_6592192_1962544_n.jpg

34041_448362033131_564753131_6140497_5732389_n.jpg

Oh and I am open to part exchange offers - maybe a Passat Estate/TDi under 100K miles, to the value of no more than £3500.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts