french -72 westy -snowman-

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowman

Reaction score
Hi everybody.
I'm Kalle finnish guy who lives in french. I like a lot cars and aircooled ones. This is my first renovation for bus.
This project is for reparing our 1972 westy for having a new life.

- 1972 westfalia
- ordered in french
- oem interrior
- last owner had it ~20 years

coming:
- typ 4 engine
- 17" bbs rims
- lower
- new paint

Little history... We bought this car with my girlfriend ( now wife ) 2011 for making some trips and join aircooled culture here is french and europe. I have already one other aircooled vw, -71 vw 181 military.
Westy was quite sad looking because previous owner had fixed already around year 2000. Not so well... buying conditions:

He told that car had some aftermarker furnitures but after buying I looked little better and it is fully original westfalia and ordered from factory to French!! Previous owner had car about 20 years long and it had sleeped winters inside!
Same year we made trip to Finland and swiss with westy and I made also some small reparations that year, like : fixing rusts inside floor, sandplasting body under, paint bumber in white, little light inside, lower front little, change fabrics for curtains and seats...

2012 little drifting in snow

2013 I deside to build one engine to westy and I got from my friend typ4 engine block and after I build engine with little bigger parts... It is now 2056cc with double 44mm carburators :)
It was nice to built that engine with my father. Every parts are new or painted and tin-metals are smoothed for extra holes.

Now to come to year 2015:
It was the moment to start renovation when I got finally garage where to built cars here in french. Previous years westy didn't got lot of kilometer, just few trips in summer and new breaks in front. When we bought car our first child was almost born, and now we are 5 in family :)
Car in and unbuilding everything and discovering rust and suprises:

I have replace some body panels like back corners, under battery, sideskirts, low parts from front... basic places for old bay ;)
I will continue here later when I have something to show.

Almost I forget the tell it going to look when it finished!
Same original colour will stay and I have one set of 17" bbs rims, but it's not sure if I put them. Back I lowered already 2 bores and front is also lowered more. I want to put air shocks to make max low in parking but make some confortable for driving.
Indside we remove high furnitures and replace it with one seat. ( we are 5 person ).

** And I'm looking trailer hitch to pull ours combicamp.

I adding pictures here: http://s85.photobucket.com/user/snowman-scf/library/T2a westfalia?sort=3&page=1 where you find more pictures.

Comments are welcome :)

and one more picture: -72 and -71

Have a nice weekend!

Bluesnailman said:
Looking good, and in my opinion one of the best westy interiors too.

My words, absolutely the best interior! Looking forward to see more from your bus!
Regards
Reto

Thanks guys, interrior is just original :) I like that also, but now I should find one old furnitur with same wood to build new bench and OEM frigo!
Welding have continue in garage:
before: little rust in down...

after little cutting:

and now is look like that:

There is new piece under battery and I cutted inside fender little higher.
There is few places what I have fix before I can start planning painting. 8)

Small update and pictures: I have welding a lot and it so slow for me... And on pictures welding are not finish! I will smooth/ fill everything after!
Driver seatbelt point I made with 3mm metal with welding everyside...
Still to fix passenger seatbelt point and fix little floor.
After is time to try gearbox and new engine and clean engineroom little.

New tyres are ordered and they will be front 195/40/17" and rear 205/55/17" all rims are 8x17", will be little tight but I manage :)

Davydomes said:
Good job! Sorting out all the metal work and having a solid bus is vital to a good restoration.

Are you going to lead the joins on the new metal?

Yes I will lead all seams and smooth with lead as much as possible, but this van had some accident for driver side and front and there is lot of filler... :(

Before skiing holiday was good to try new engine in place and don't fit because there is original airfilter supporter, what I wanted delete anyway. I will make like user aircooled with his westy ;) Removable, if I want to put original engine back one day.
This restoration is for us, car is stay in family and I hope one day my kids can enjoy that car :)

And question about engine supporter:
I have install this supporter in engine 2013 ( when I built engine without car) and now I see that it not exactly same that before. Mayby I just drill holes for like typ1 engine supporter have...

And the engine, it will look so simple :) ( sorry for messy garage)...

Aircooler said:
Nice update! Could you tell me something about the lowering from your bus?
Best regards
Reto

Thanks, For the moment front have welded for original front beam adjusters and rear I lowered 2 bores original spring plates. I start like that and see after when car is on road with new rims... Ideal would be with air, but it is more expensive for moment.

regards
Kalle

Little by little... weldings are finished, except under the car have few place, but those I fix later.
I start leading the seams also and it interesting but nice job. It is good to have dry garage, so I'm not hurry to protect bare metal surface.

Rims have tryed under car and I have to put centrals front side, because big ET, original ET20 and 8" rim.
And problems: front seems to stay really high and tyres are 195/40/17", so mayby need to invest drop spindles.
behind it will be impossible to put tyre on place without adjustable spring plates. (tyres are 205/55/17" )
I wanted to keep original spring plates...
Give some tips Aircooled ;)

Next big work is sanding and filling for paint. Anyway +10 degree in garage is too cold for painting for the moment ;)

regards
Kalle

Long time no updates, because studies and other projects. Anyway now I have made little progress and primer have put engine room and some other parts. Next is smoothing and filling... and sanding...
Shit this work is slow and cleaning and cleaning again :)
I'm happy if van have painted this summer!
I didn't have possibility to sand whole car so I have to look rust and cleaning them by hand, but I think it good now!
Here is few pictures, just to show what going on :)

regards
Kalle

P_20160601_162922.jpg

P_20160531_144258.jpg

P_20160531_144254.jpg

Hello!

Finally it's time to paint yellow :) I started painting engineroom and interrieur, becouse outside have still lot of to do.... filling, sanding.
Slidingdoor, back doors ( engineroom and trunk) have primer for the moment. Still to do cabin doors.

After 3 days in garage and hopefully rain stopped, it was good to paint, even it was hot ( +30 shadow). But I don't complain!
In the pictures there is only one layer of paint, I will paint second time also. I bought 5 l paint, so I think I have enought.
I link only few pictures, but there is more in photobucket if you are interested.

regards
Kalle

DSC_0472.jpg

DSC_0466.jpg

DSC_0464.jpg

DSC_0460.jpg

DSC_0457.jpg

Very nice bud!!!! 8)
I always try & take as much of that shitty black transport primer off as possible, as I've found it creates adhesion problems further down the line!!! :cry:

thanks for tip! I will clean black away before primer.

Today was time to paint second layer inside and now it is like it should! Before I forgot mix well paint it stayed little too yellow.
Lets the pictures speak more...
DSC_0488.jpg

DSC_0484.jpg

DSC_0479.jpg

small update: Inside painting is finished. Next I focus for outside.
When you see fresh paint, if give you nice feeling and our westy start look better and better :)

I'm looking behind driver place one furniture with seat, (I remove that high cupboard with cooker), or finding that same brown board somewhere. I want to keep inside still as much as possible original-look.

DSC_0489.jpg

DSC_0490.jpg

DSC_0494.jpg

DSC_0495.jpg

Hello everybody, long time no update.

Thanks the comment!

End of summer was working other priorites, like build one covering for my other aircooled car ;)

So, after last update: outside is painted with primer, engine is tried on place, rims have polished and gearbox painted.
I can say that I'm almost finished with sanding and filling... I hate that. :)

Answer for buh151buh: paint what I used is dupont imron industry ( ordered from paintshop with oem code )

Pictures starting with rims: lips have polished:
DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

And now condition is:
DSC_0156.jpg

DSC_0157.jpg

DSC_0162.jpg

DSC_0165.jpg

It's look good but I doubt after sanding with water I have fix little before real paint. I prefere/trying do my best.
Paint for roof and rims is already waiting: oem white.

This project is continue but not so fast, because other project and 3 kids ;)

Latest posts