French Slammer shocks

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chalkers

Reaction score
Hi All
Are the shocks fitted to the French slammer kits stock length?
I have it fitted to my EB and the shocks look like to have leaked and don’t seem to be doing much. Any recommendations on replacements?
Thanks
Brett

They should KYB gas Adjust 410-265, shorter than stock, contact me Brett I’m sure I can help.

Just curious, why shorter for dropped spindles? The trailing arms are in the same place, nothing changes as far as shock mount/length goes..?

Just curious, why shorter for dropped spindles? The trailing arms are in the same place, nothing changes as far as shock mount/length goes..?
Its not just dropped spindles on this bus it’s got a full French slammer set up with narrowed adjustable beam.

Oh no! Not yet another 1968~79 VW Type 2 with narrowed front-suspension beam, ULTRA-LOW ride-height and presumably super-stiff front suspensions and completely unsuitable front wheels & tyres, which are not rated for the weight of this vehicle!?!?!

Oh no! Not yet another 1968~79 VW Type 2 with narrowed front-suspension beam, ULTRA-LOW ride-height and presumably super-stiff front suspensions and completely unsuitable front wheels & tyres, which are not rated for the weight of this vehicle!?!?!
What people do to their own vehicles is up to them Nigel, you've made it quite clear that you don't approve.

Hi mate, I bought my bus with the beam in place. I am lucky enough to have another bud s which has a red 9 kit fitted after having owned it for over 20 years. The Red9 is excellent however my lowered and narrowed bay is a better more comfortable ride believe it or not. Standard steering is not as good but hey ho. Both busses are not ridiculously lowered. Believe it or not I just need some new shocks! 😊

You've clearly never been in a well set up lowered bay and as Sparky as said its up to the owners what they run, trying to preach at people on this friendly forum is not the way to go about things, suggest you try your luck on FB.

What an impressively unhelpful and irrelevant statement 🙄

As Graham says if you want to try and be edgy go else where 👋🏻

Let’s keep it friendly on here eh guys?
Nigel has stated relevant safety concerns previously and I for one appreciate his views as I do all of your others as well.
Cheers with beers 🍻😊

Let’s keep it friendly on here eh guys?
Nigel has stated relevant safety concerns previously and I for one appreciate his views as I do all of your others as well.
Cheers with beers 🍻😊

As you have said, my principal concerns are with safety!

Sadly, many if not all of the vehicles I have seen with lowered suspensions, narrowed front suspensions, substituted narrow wheels and ultra-low-profile tyres, had failed to address the fundamental safety issues!!! There are all too many people modifying vehicles, who are ignorant of their own ignorance, or the ignorance of others.

You've clearly never been in a well set up lowered bay and as Sparky as said its up to the owners what they run, trying to preach at people on this friendly forum is not the way to go about things, suggest you try your luck on FB.

People do not have carte blanche to modify their vehicles any way they choose. They are subject to various items of legislation, including the Construction & Use (Motor Vehicles) Regulations, the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations and others.

Surely if the vehicle is submitted for an MOT and passes, does this not mean it is safe for use under The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 and Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989?
I'm only asking as one of my neighbours is a serving Traffic Officer, and another is a DoT Inspector and they don't see any issues.

I have no issue with you voicing any concerns Nigel, but stop preaching please.

Surely if the vehicle is submitted for an MOT and passes, does this not mean it is safe for use under The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 and Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989?
I'm only asking as one of my neighbours is a serving Traffic Officer, and another is a DoT Inspector and they don't see any issues.

I have no issue with you voicing any concerns Nigel, but stop preaching please.
It's not part of an MOT inspector's remit to check compliance with the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 and Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 etc; only whether they comply with the limited criteria given in the MOT Inspector's handbook!

They cannot check whether the front / brake balance is appropriate to the vehicle under varying brake-pedal pressure or assess changes in over-steer and/or under-steer, under acceleration, braking & cornering etc; which are influenced by all sorts of different "upgrades" and modifications. There are a whole host of things that they don't have the knowledge or test equipment to check, which would affect the actual roadworthiness of a vehicle.

This is why countries like NZ - New Zealand require one to have "radical modifications" certified & plated by a recognised, registered expert automotive engineer (not a technician!) conversant with the specific vehicle marque & model, before it can then proceed to have a WoF - Warrant of Fitness inspection (equivalent of the British MOT inspection), which for vehicles over 3 years old is required at 6 monthly intervals.

In Great Britain, many "radically-modified" vehicles should probably be submitted for an IVA inspection (both rigorous, pedantic & expensive!), but many are either unaware of the need to do this or deliberately avoid having it done.

Latest posts