Front Axle Bushes bay 1970

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaggaxjr

Reaction score
Does anyone know where i can buy Front Axle Bushes like these for a bay 1970

framvagn.jpg

The urethane bushes are rubbish... the originals were called 'bearings' for a reason. I'd never choose to run the 'bushes' myself... but each to their own :)

why i want these is because a have shortened the front beam so the bearings are gone.
So i really want some help to find the right ones, i live in Sweden and i have called around but they dont sell these here.

try wagenwest.com they do inserts in some fancy hardened nylon/plastic

he sent me a mail [Nate] and said he could do any size od or id....althoough I did assume he meant somewhere in the ballpark.

it is what makes bay beams a pain - the machined end for a bearing...I tried to get a local machining shop to put a bearing seat back in,,,only one place would do it and they said it could cost around £300!!

so anyway try Nate........

Hi,

for your information, I'm also in the progress of making a narrowed beam out of an original.
I went to a machinist who is going to turn out the Original beam so I can fit the original bearings back in. I managed to free the bearing out of the cut off parts. When I get the beam back from the machinist, I will have to heath up the beam and put the original needlebearings back in.

If you are interested, I can post some pictures when I get my stuff back.

Greetz

Wim

I'm going to narrow a beam myself soon,I saw someone had narrowed a different way,by cutting four inches (or whatever you want) out of the middle of the beam but off centre slightly and welded it back together.Would this be a good way to go to avoid the bearing problem?

Or is it better to do it by chopping the end off?

vwaircooled - not sure tbh....peterborough machinists wouldn't touch it...not sure why?

if you cut and weld to the side of the centre adjuster, it means you have the oppurtunity to sleeve the tubing and [through pre drilled holes] get a couple of spot type welds to join the sleeve to the tube. some don't bother with this step, and the sleeve cannot be too thick as it will interfere with the torsion tubes.
you could also instead of internal sleeving do an external one....but I'd be inclined to both sides so looks stock.

Its probably easier to get the wagenwest solid bushes and just cut off the ends, probably save you half a day welding, and setting up .... [ beam if cut would need to be aligned ] if you're cutting ends off then you can weld a couple of positioning bars across the tubes so that they stay in place when ends cut off.

I cannot for the life of me remember what the id of the non bearing seat of a late bay is

pic from wagenwest site of poly bushes

pollymollys%20web.jpg

Latest posts