Front caliper rebuild..

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallingoffalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took the van out for a spin the other day and it was pulling to the left, not just under braking, seemed like one of the front brakes was sticking. Got home a sure enough the front nearside wheel was hotter than it should be.

What's the first thing I should be checking before I go and rebuild the calliper and renew any parts?

If I need to rebuild, the problem I've got is that I'm not sure what callipers have been added to my bay, 71/72 or 72-79. What's the easiest way to tell?

Cheers all.

I’d recommend that before you dosh up for anything, you strip and clean your callipers and just check that you haven’t overstepped the point where you have some crap or corrosion helping them to stick on. You will then be able to check exactly what you have and exactly what you’ll need. When you know that your callipers are working nicely , then you can check as Wiggy says for damaged hoses, you can also get a good feel and nose around while it’s stripped. The only part I’d buy in advance is some fluid as you might as well change it while you got it in pieces. If you don’t have one, I’d recommend getting a Gunson easy bleed too, worth their weight in brake fluid :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,and some :mrgreen:

Thanks guys, I'll try and have a look soonish. Actually thinking about it the brake had freed itself a bit by the time I'd got home, at one point I was hanging onto the wheel to stop me being driven into the hedgerow and I could barely get out of 3rd. Good shout with the Gunson as well.

f your callipers do need an overhaul would highky recommend BigRed in Worcester
Both callipers stripped ,blasted, painted, new pistons and seals £135 the pair.

Change the hoses and pump the pistons in and out a few times - it may cure it.

Latest posts