Front drum brakes advice

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeoggie

Reaction score
Hey guys,

hope you're all well,

I've fitted new shoes to the front - they were fine at first but around 500 miles in they've developed a noise that to be honest could make dogs ears bleed.

not just an irritating squeak but a full on screaming noise - no exageration, I made a couple walking past jump when I braked at a crossing.

I've had them back off, twice. i've copper slipped the backing plate incase they were rubbing on any moving bits and filed a leading edge into the shoes, took the drums off cleaned the dust and crap out etc. no lip or anything on the drums themselves

was ok for a while but has started doing it again. not sure what else to try?

Sometimes happens when I brake suddenly, some times not. sometimes happens when i've pressed the pedal gently and just as the van is coming to a stop it'll do it again as if i'm slamming on.

reckon its the shoes themselves?

cheers,
Mike

Sounds like the shoes bud, I’d get in there again and do exactly what you’ve already done but a tad more ski slopey, just have a little look at the condition of the backing plates where the cylinders are bolted on. I’d also have a little wash around with some brake cleaner, I’m wondering if they’re contaminated somehow. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog ,,,,,,weirdy weird weird , but that’s drum brakes :mrgreen:

Cheers Ozziedog, will do, you know when you think you've done what you can but have that niggly feeling someone might know exactly what it is haha.

that's weekends job sorted then!

cheers for the reply

Mike

If they are contaminated you might see evidence like an old damp Mark. If so, get them back to where they came from and get your money back. I recently spent two long evenings just adjusting mine and giving them a brush out. Lots of oil and working them adjusters up and down, up and down, up and you get the picture. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,bloody brakes :mrgreen:

Latest posts