Front drums getting too hot - smoking brakes

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slow-lane-Matt

Reaction score
I have read Markevo30 posting on hot rear drums - I guess I have same problem - but would appreciate a second opinion before I rip the brakes apart...

Symptom was burning smell in cab - as just installed new radio underdash wiring was first suspect - but then son noticed smoke outside and it was coming from front wheel, which was too hot to
touch, and smelt of cooked brake shoes.

I jacked up the car roadside and the wheel spun freely, so decided at that point to get rescued, the family and dog were not amused.

Getting home I find this...

https://youtu.be/9x6dcguZG5s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess this is expected as one side will go first and relieve pressure., so other side won't go.

So I clamped the good side, and the bad piston rocked a bit but didn't extend when brakes pumped. I wiggled it a bit and would extend properly, but when released it clicked back and locked itself.
You can hear the clunk at the end of the video.

https://youtu.be/NhbqgzuGlTw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am guessing the top slave cylinder is broken - or is there an adjustment to stop the plunger returning in too far....

Also - this would account for brakes not working, but not for binding....?

Any comments much appreciated

Thanks Matt

Top brake piston is seized. Although it struggles to engage, eventually it obviously is and the piston is getting stuck in the 'on' position. It may be the heat from the other working side causing the broken side to eventually start working enough to get jammed on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Moseley,

I'll replace the cylinder, I was just struggling to understand how a piston jammed closed would cause binding. When it does move it moves freely, so it's more like a mechanical defect stopping it from opening, rather than the piston being stiff and jamming open. Maybe it behaves differently when hot...

Latest posts