FS Alistair's 1970 Westy SO70 Campmobile - San Lorenzo, Cali

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aogrady

Reaction score
Hi

Thought i had better get some pics up. Bought last year, came from San Lorenzo, California. Originated in Washington DC, so over a 2500 mile trip in it's lifetime to end up in California!

Pics as i saw it......

Image094.jpg

Image095.jpg

Image100.jpg

Image101.jpg

Image093.jpg

Image099.jpg

Really solid everywhere, except battery tray, one thing on my list to do.
All the interior is OG stock, sink unit, buddy seat, westy stool, hamock, wheel cover, all in OG mustard material. Missing the tap spout. The floor is the OG covering, but a bit worn. Will post interior pics soon.

Image141.jpg

Image145.jpg

Image146.jpg

Image147.jpg

Image148.jpg

Image149.jpg

Image150.jpg

Image151.jpg

Still got service stickers going back to early 80's. Tempting to try and peel of the rest, but i think they are proper stuck. Also got loads of insurance docs going back some time, the PO had owned it for at least 13 years i reckon.

BTW, do a google earth for "232 Ano Ave, San Lorenzo, CA 94580, USA" and tell me if that isn't my bus right underneath the pointer!? Looks like a van anyway - and thats the PO house........

Might write them a letter and see if they have any other docs or photo's

Image206.jpg

Image205.jpg

Image136.jpg

Looks better with badge on front, though have holes to fill where previous drilled about 10-12 pop rivet holes to hold on the wheel bracket! Luckily the badge hides most. Spent some time trying to revive the dead paint. it's come up quite well, but has been resprayed on the rear corner in a wrong shade, so that's another job to do.

More recent pics, some stickers, new jailbars, new wheels, lower pro tyres (will probably go back to stock whitewalls) Wheels and tyres much better than the ones it was rolling on. Still got the Aug '70 spare with Dunlop crossply (flat)

Image420.jpg

Image421.jpg

Image422.jpg

Image281.jpg

camper.jpg

Been working on the interior, 12v supply from lighter socket, new radio, cd/mp3 player in glovebox, and currently fitting a Harmon Kardon iPod control system. Also amp, and 6x9's to be hidden away sometime - and a NOS 8 track player for some additional retro bling! And some 8 track cassettes! Carpenters and Beatles anyone? More pics when all fitted.
Got a little rev counter mounted, cool retro fan, the obligatory hula girl and garland!

Image433.jpg

Image437.jpg

Image279.jpg

Sourced a US spec Sapphire IX metal faceplate to change on the Blaupunkt, though needs some moding to fit.

Image437.jpg

Image438.jpg

Found a few extra chrome bits too for the doors

Image435.jpg

The wooden roof lining has see better days, especially at the front, so my girlfriend has changed the look - a collage of small posters of scenes from the 60's and 70's of cool surfing, music and ads etc. Brightens up the interior, and as the roof needed new wood anyway, we think looks rather cool!! Will white wash the og panels on the sides, and probably do a similar thing on the tailgate as we have some pictures left - once i source some wood that is, currently no tailgate cover.

Image432.jpg

Image431.jpg

Will post more pictures as work progresses - such as the Lumax spot lamps, the NOS Helphos, please pass light....etc etc........

Alistair

Gadget Boy said:
Thats great Al where did you get the small posters from for the roof ?? :wink:

I had seen a surfing book with pics of ads of posters, music, surfing etc, it was on Amazon, and I think was on the forum many many moons ago, It was only about a fiver, and i saw a 2nd hand one on Fleabay, but got outbid, so bought another one, so the whole roof cost about a tenner, plus a tub of pva glue. Quick glue coat on top to seal, but debating if to clear gloss varnish on the top or not? Dunno if it will stick to the glue or not, any ideas? Guess, i could to a trial patch. Still got enough to do the tailgate, and some more on my old retro suitcase. All for a tenner. Bargain.

Alistair

Looks like a nice buy you have and too, loving the poster roof - very original 8)

Nice looking Bus.

Looks like you got it from Gary in Bournemouth :?:
Thats were ours was from.

Cali_bay said:
Nice looking Bus.

Looks like you got it from Gary in Bournemouth :?:
Thats were ours was from.

That's right, though it was Simon Hall's van, i did a deal and got it kinda through him, but it was at Bournemouth yes.

I was like a kid in a sweet shop - on a very cold windy November day.

Alistair

robins said:
bet you don loads today with all that sunshine :wink:

Well! The intention was there to do stuff, but a nice lay in ended most of that - went shopping too, so was getting dark by then....

Still, there is always tomorrow! Honest!!

Alistair

Hi!

Done a few bits today, now got a Harmon Kardon iPod set up. A jog wheel controls the iPod, and a screen displays the track, time etc. Poor picture from phone.
Need to tidy up some cables, rewire it all via ignition, but will do another day. Twas cold and dark fitting it in, via torch on my head too..... :roll:

Image444.jpg

It is currently working via a FM interface, as my head unit had no direct audio in as such.
Another day will see the 12V and speakers re-wiring, alone with some 6x9 speakers in custom boxes... :)

Alistair

Also got some overiders for the rear, with fixings, got another westy tap, appears like it will work, needs a clean, and spout sorting.

Image443.jpg

Also got a NOS Helphos! Nice!!

Image441.jpg

Image442.jpg

Alistair

She's lookin' nice Alistair! I am totaly diggin what you guys did with the ceiling panels, great idea!
I spent several hours re-painting my panels this week, what a difference it makes to the interior.

I'm in the market for stickers. I hope you don't mind, I may end up with a lot of the same one's that you have on my ride.

By the way, how's the floor search going?

Cker5 said:
She's lookin' nice Alistair! I am totaly diggin what you guys did with the ceiling panels, great idea!
I spent several hours re-painting my panels this week, what a difference it makes to the interior.

I'm in the market for stickers. I hope you don't mind, I may end up with a lot of the same one's that you have on my ride.

By the way, how's the floor search going?

Hi!

Really pleased with the ceiling, come out well. Need to do the tailgate cover when i find/make one, may not do the interior side panels, perhaps just white wash them, similar to stock. Too much overload otherwise i reckon?

So, we seeing any new pics from you yet?

I have some more stickers going on when the weather gets better, boy did it rain today! Will post once done.....

I have saved the links you sent, did have a look, but there is so much choice, i need to take a decent picture of my floor, so i can compare it a little easier....perhaps when the weather gets better, i will be taking out the interior. Not having a garage makes things tricky - also rain makes my hub caps rusty, but that's another story.............

Cheers!

Alistair

Alistair

Hi!

Thanks everyone!! :D Really like how it's coming out, wish summer was here - so much i want to do, but too cold and wet, the motivation is a little lacking, hence easier to do up the interior!

Alistair

Hi!

Right, did a bit more to it again today before i went out, fixed the westy light. The switches were pushed inside as the nut holding them in was missed. The switches worked well, but one was a little intermittant, but OG, worked fine after a squirt of WD40. Thought i could use the new nut off the replacement switches I sourced, but the original push button is slightly thicker and didnt work with the new nuts, so swapped both switches and nuts out.

Image463.jpg

Image462.jpg

Image464.jpg

At least the light can be control from the light, and not have to clamber around in the dark trtying to turn it on from the dash.

I also sourced a replacement rubber/plastic cover for the sliding track, but now think that this was only fitted on the kombi, and not a OG fitment on the Westy, as I think the curtain track is in the way? Can someone confirm this?

Image465.jpg

Image466.jpg

I cleaned it up, and must say, now looks like new, just not too sure on the fitment, so this may be for sale if it don't fit my Westy! :roll:

Also fitted a westy curtain track thing, it was in the camper all along, hidden at the top of the wardrobe with other random metal rods. So now the curtain stays in place when you open the tailgate.

Fingers crossed tomorrow and hopefully will see, some cool old spots fitted, maybe the NOS Helpos, and NOS 8 Track Stereo - complete with some old Beatles and Carpenters cassettes! Want to fit some new 6x9's i have with boxes, and the amp i have, but to be honest, it's too bloody cold to spend too long outside. Not got the luxury of a garage unfortunately!

Alistair

Latest posts