fuel breather/oil bath/charcoal filter question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robmgy

Reaction score
So I'm having a little trouble configuring my 1969 american import bay window, fuel breather system.
It has a charcoal filter bolted up above the battery, but I dont think its actually being used as it only has one pipe connected.
I'm struggling to find any information online, regarding the esrly bay fuel breather system.
I have the breather pipe from the tank to the filler neck connected up.
And I'm guessing the pipe connected to my charcoal filter is a breather pipe, as is it also comes from the filler neck area.

Apart from these, I have no other breather pipes fitted!
I'm reading online that the oil baths have breather pipe connections, but after examining my oil bath - it doesnt have any breather pipe connections! Just the pipe to the oil filler.

Others are also mentioning 't-pieces' in the top of the engine area and a troublesome pipe fitted behind the spare wheel area - I dont have any of these!

Is this correct? I'm guessing this could be a difference between early and late bays but obviously, I need to check.

On a side note, I'm seeing oil run out of the top of the dipstick after running. Im putting this town to crankcase pressurisation. You all concur with that? Set of Pistons, cylinders and rings in the morning.

Sounds like a previous owner has disconnected and removed some of the breather pipes. Its quite common especially since swapping carbs, dissy, air filter and of course whole engines will change the way this stuff can be connected - or not. A lot get deleted.

As for your oil, check the breather pipe from the filler to the air filter is clear inside. Then check your dipstick, there should be a small felt seal up inside the cup. If it's missing then some oil seepage will occur.

If you have crank case pressurisation it will show by blowing oil vapour out from behind the fan belt pulley and out the oil filler if you remove the cap and rev the engine. The engine will also use a lot more oil than it should. A compression check should be done as final confirmation, plus the crankshaft end float should be checked before making any further decision on repairs.

From what I have found out one pipe to the charcoal filter is from the tank, there should be a pipe from the fan housing to the same filter which blows air in and one to the oil bath filter which sucks out the fumes. I think there is a diagram on here somewhere. The other pipes don't apply to these versions, apart from the oil breather mentioned.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Its a strange one, because once my oil bath is connected to the oil filler breather there are no further connections points left for breather pipes on the bath!? Is there some kind of adapter available?

If you look at this picture >> http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Microfiche/t201500.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I only have a connection for number 11.
I dont have items 31,32,33,34 or indeed 10a and 1.

Perhaps this is my problem?

With regards to the crankcase venting - I have pulled the head off of one side and low and behold - oil is pushing past the pistons quite considerably. I've also found the exhaust valves pitted in the centre, almost to the point of failure. Going to go for the complete re-valve and a new set of pistons, cylinders and rings - its LONG overdue by the looks of it.
I purchased this engine from a chap in coventry about 10 months ago who claimed he rebuilt it, so I didn't bother to check until now! its been run for maybe an hour max in those 10 months.
Im ashamed to say I paid 800 quid for it, as I trusted the 'rebuild' story.
Poor old me. soldier on robi.

Latest posts