Fuel gauge query

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fozworth

Reaction score
I've recently fitted a new fuel sender ,and I have checked that there is power going to the gauge from the rear end .The sender unit I used was a VDO one but it was 20mm shorter than the original bay one. I know there is about £20 of fuel in the tank but the needle on the gauge only sits at the bottom line and flickers and sometimes it doesn't move until you start the engine. I know it's not going to show much as the sender was a little shorter but I thought the needle would of sat steady.?

I got the £30 gsf tube type. Don't know if it's the same resistance as the original, but mine sat below empty. The original gauge as never accurate but over read rather than under.

Mine has 96 ohm to ground with the float at the bottom.

Recon it's better to have some gauge indication at the empty end then at the top, so the only work around I came across was to add a resistor. Had to first insulate the gauge from the instrument cluster aluminium that it's mounted in by drilling the 3 mount hole a bit bigger then using 2 rubber disc's to insulate the gauge, then used a 16 ohm resistor to connect the now insulated gauge to ground.

Lifts the bottom end of the reading up so half full point is just above half full on the gauge, but it's lifts the needle up to empty.

Latest posts