Fuel hose specification.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete B

Reaction score
Not in, but 9 miles north of Peterborough
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Bus
I know this topic has been covered recently but I'll be damned if I can find the threads!
What is the 'current spec' and internal diameter for flexible fuel hose please?
SAEJ30 R9 with 5.6mm ID is readily available on ebay for £5.59 per metre delivered.
I have a hose supplier next door to my work, would be handy to know what the latest specification is before I go in to enquire.
They list one type as 'SAE30 R7 and BSAU 108' and another as 'NBR/PVC rubber lining' and also 'It has a fabric finish to the cover and is highly flexible. Designed for use with leaded and unleaded petrol.'
Hoping to change the lot before chucking the engine back in at the weekend.

Cheers folk!

You may see this you may not. I have just redone my engine over the winter and hoses were a must change item.

The hose at the bottom in the picture is R9 and what everyone seems to use. For me though now , never again
as on removal this specific piece was on the engine between the carb and the pump, less than 8 months old and already hard to the touch.
The other piece however is a piece of as advertised " 100% Bio friendly " Below is a link to the site and the size I used on the petrol side of things.

http://www.advancedfluidsolutions.co.uk/55mm-id-732-100-bio-fuel-hose-diesel--petrol-2015-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It cost a little more but after being in for a year now the hose inside the engine compartment and above the
gearbox has no signs of wear, cracking or breakdown of any sort. It is still just as supple as it was when it first arrived. I don't know if anybody else uses the stuff but I seem to recall getting this site from on of the conversations and sparkywig jumps to mind. From what I recall the discussion was about the hose to the tank/ filler neck piece.
I subsequently now only use this stuff. Each to there own and I am by no means saying peeps should not buy R9 it
is still good stuff and lasts better than the rest. Personally I would not recommend covered hose metal or fabric
the reason is plain , you cannot see if its starting to deteriorate.

Hope this helps.

J & P
:D :D :D

As already explained by gas1man R9 fuel hose is not up to the job. Although its supposed to be suitable for fuel with a small percentage of ethanol it would appear in practice it doesn't work.

I bought a few meters of biofuel hose from http://hoseworld.com/acatalog/Biofuel-Hose.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; its green, which is odd, but I've had it fitted about 6 months I think and it still feels fine.

Sent from my C55 using Tapatalk

I buy mine from the motor factors who supply the local Renault and Peugeot garages. Modern cars don't need their fuel pipes changing every couple of years so that's the stuff I use.

I changed them on my bay 9 years ago and when I checked them last September they were still like new.

Trikky2 said:
I buy mine from the motor factors who supply the local Renault and Peugeot garages. Modern cars don't need their fuel pipes changing every couple of years so that's the stuff I use.

I changed them on my bay 9 years ago and when I checked them last September they were still like new.

Mine are about 6 years old now and still seem fine - I almost feel guilty not changing them after reading so much on the 'net about annual changes!