Fuel/Oil Leak

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0x072

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've always wanted to own a Early Bay and when the opportunity came about to buy a 1972 Crossover late last year I couldn't resist.

I'm a bit of a VW and automotive engineering novice and I'm on a nice steep and enjoyable learning curve, and I'm hoping you guys can validate some of my homework.

One thing that concerns me is a smell of fuel in the garage and then finding patterns like this on the Cardboard underneath.
IMG_6886.JPEG

My oil also smells suspiciously too strong of fuel. So after some research I am guessing the diaphragm has gone in the fuel pump.

I intend on starting my first major mechanical adventure by replacing the fuel pump, dropping the oil, running some flush and refilling the oil. But first I wanted a second or third pair of eyes, the following areas and bolts (there's another on the other side) are suspiciously wet, but I can easily identify why.

InkedIMG_6899.jpg

Any pointers would be welcome, or any other areas I should investigate. Not sure if relevant but I appear to have an external air cooler fitted.

Thanks
0x072

Not always the petrol pump diaphragm. If the float in the carb is jammed in the open position or is full of fuel
this can have the same effect.....Ask me I know. :lol: :lol: I ordered a carb rebuild kit and hey presto.
Hope it helps a little.

J & P
:D :D :D

As Jonathan has said above, there are two likely suspects. It’s fairly easy to pop out the fuel pump and have a look or on the other hand does it keep leaking for a long time? Either way fuel and oil is not a good mix. I personally am not a fan of flushing oil especially in an air cooled. For the price of good mineral oil, I’d run it and change the oil more frequently if you desire. The oil changes on these are much more frequent than modern vehicles anyway and I’m a big fan of sticking to one oil type and not mixing various types as some don’t mix well. I use Halfords multi flavour mineral oil, I think it’s something like 15/50 or15/40 or something like that. It comes in a nice metal can and says on the front, specifically for old bangers or words to that effect. Now pin pointing your leak is another thing, give him a good clean and wipe his bum for him after you’ve changed your oil. Thinned down oil with petrol in will leak a lot more than new oil, and around the crank case it’ll leak a tad more if it’s cold theoretically because the components expand as they warm up. So maybe wipe his bum and change his oil , fix his petrol leak and run him out for a bit and keep checking for leaks, I wouldn’t go crazy and change the oil again until you’ve sorted the leaks for sure. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, hard to find until it’s cleaned :mrgreen:

P.S. most of the points you’ve indicated may actually just be the lower points and possibly not where the leaks are, get a good clean up going first.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, Tubes!!! :mrgreen:

Thanks guys, I'll wipe his bum and change the oil this weekend. I'll lookup how to inspect the float in the carb.

I did want to run him more and get used to the sounds etc... but its a bit difficult with the current climate, and non essential travel. Most I've been doing is pulling out of the garage to start having a good look round and putting a plan together for a new interior.

ozziedog said:
P.S. most of the points you’ve indicated may actually just be the lower points and possibly not where the leaks are, get a good clean up going first.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, Tubes!!! :mrgreen:
Scrub the engine then brush on a small amount of talc to help identify the true source of the leak(s)

Latest posts