Fuel tank sender-Vw T2

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippywitch72

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Devon Moonraker
Has anybody cut a hole in the top of a camper rear shelf/bulkhead to change the fuel tank sender, rather than take the engine/tank out? Is it feasible?

I don’t weld but wouldn’t you need to take the tank out to weld a hatch in? Same probably if you used a grinder to cut the hole. It’s been a good few years since I’ve taken the engine and tank out, but it really isn’t that big of a deal.
Gets you to look at everything closely again anyway which is a good thing 😄.

You could cut the hole with a nibbler .
Very true and then use panel adhesive to glue in an extended panel hatch.

I’ve got to earth my fuel Sender again after doing a tank restoration and discovering that the earth wasn’t good enough after everything was back in again 🙄, so the full removal is on my list at some point again, but I won’t cut a hatch in.

I like the sound of the Buttys bits one! ;) Cutting a hole shouldn’t be a mahoosive issue especially if you used a straight edge that would also limit your grinder penetration but I’d check smelly fuel pipes first. Then simply glue a patch a bit bigger over it. It’s not like you’re gonna be in here on a daily or even a weekly basis, nothing a long bladed craft knife couldn’t cope with.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, I’d check on the buttys bits one first.:)

Has anybody cut a hole in the top of a camper rear shelf/bulkhead to change the fuel tank sender, rather than take the engine/tank out? Is it feasible?
I cut a whole to access when I was renovating my bus. I had access to a donor bus so cut out a larger section then used Rivnuts to secure. Access now is easy if I ever need to go in again.

A H Schofields sell a panel which you can either weld on, or I made a rubber gasket for and used self tapers to screw it down. The panel was quite generous so trimmed it down to just cover hole with a margin for the gasket. Did have the engine out and firewall off at the time so I could see where to cut 😁

Thanks everyone for all your posts - most useful. Will let you know the results of our attempt! (Hopefully no fire extinguishers involved).

Hayburner make one and I did it last year, really straight forward and you can join their free VW 1/4 year magazine.

Hayburner make one and I did it last year, really straight forward and you can join their free VW 1/4 year magazine.
Hi,
Yes! I have done this. I did mine when I put a new engine in my 69 panel van. I took the tank out and replaced it with a new one.
If you want to do it with the tank in, I would drill 4 corners and cut out with a jigsaw. I got a cover for it from ALANHSCHOFIELD. There’s pictures of it on Instagram oldvolksbus if you want to have a look.

Latest posts