fuel tank unit inspection hatch

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyboy

Reaction score
Hi has anybody fitted the fuel tank inspection hatch panel ? any feed back or photos would be good.

cheers in advance

marty

Check this out: https://web.archive.org/web/20190429081452/http://www.specialpatrolgroup.co.uk/spooky/access/access.html

I've got to do the same job (and replace sender), I bought a hatch cover ages ago from C&C, but am too chicken to drill/saw with the fuel tank in place and I really can't be arsed to remove everything to do it with no tank in. I just go by 200 miles then fill up!!

If you are having a mental issue with drilling through to the fuel tank, then put a dummy on your drill. The dummy can be made of anything , a cotton reel a rubber door stop even a biro body cut to size with a hacksaw., or a piece of wood. Just cut your dummy to size and allow yourself about an eighth of an inch of clear drill bit, as that’s all you need to get through. Have a practice drill on a piece of scrap so you can see how far through your bit will go. Always drill ultra slow on metal with lots of pressure/ weight on the drill and use a punch to start your hole or you’ll be off skating all around the place and as soon as you have a start, pull your drill bit off and put a blob of oil on the end of the bit. Any oil will do, old engine oil or 3:1 gearbox oil anything. Keep oil on the end and you’ll fly through. If you drill fast or with little or no pressure, the drill bit will go way too fast for it to cut into the metal, you might get away with it on one or two holes but your bit will suffer and make hard work of anything after the first couple. Dewalt Extreme are about the best general purpose/ spot welds drill bit I’ve come across recently for the money.
When you’re using a grinder, do a similar thing but use a wooden batten as a guide for a straight edge but also as a depth guage, secure nicely with gaffer tape on three sides. Useful to have a couple of various thickness pieces of wood. Use safety glasses minimum but a face shield over them is even bettererer and ear plugs and decent gloves aren’t just for sissies. I like magnet near where I’m drilling to catch the drillings swarf, and grinding,, well cover everything that isn’t being cut, but don’t set it on fire, especially the glass, it looks cack with grinder splatter.
That link that George (GVee) has posted above is fab but he’s cheated as in he’s already got the tank out :shock: but I reckon he’s done that just so you can see from all angles ;) If you’re not into welding, I reckon you could use stainless spire clips with nuts already fitted and just to improve slightly on his design , I’d use stainless dome headed Allen bolts with the large flanges to save using a washer but still spread the load. Reckon I’d use some sort of gasket cement or RTV to extra seal it too. Spire clips with fitted nuts will give you a bit more slack to play with too :roll: If you used spire clips with nuts, then drill all your holes with your pilot bit 1/8th or so then use a larger bit to give you some clearance, but make a new dummy for it too.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,I’m guessing you have about 1/2” to an 1”” clearance,,,,loads of room :mrgreen:

Latest posts