• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Sold Fully restored and insulated pop top, all brackets, fibreglass surround and bellows (and hammocks) - all for sale

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben72Bay

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evening all,
having fully restored a pop top I have decided to go in a different direction, so - having put in all the hard work and many hours I'm going to sell it all.

(Also both hammock brackets and 1 hammock at additional cost)

Brief summary:
I stripped the whole thing back to bare metal (the top is made out of alloy, not fibreglass), repainted the outside and fitted a Fiamma opening roof vent.
E4-E3-F269-E975-41-CA-B199-D47-ACD2-D43-AA.jpg
Then on the inside - stripped back again, then insulated with Dodo Pro sound deadening, then 50mm Dodo Fleece, then 5mm ply sheet, then 4 way stretch material - all fixings are Stainless Steel.
The metal brackets have been sand blasted and powder coated
43-ED52-B2-4-EF2-4766-A862-78-E1973-EEF19.jpg
29841204-19-F2-46-D6-9230-074765-E16687.jpg
72361345-F37-C-4-ABB-8-B84-B77-CB1-BFFEDC.jpg

Here it is all finished:

IMG_2965.JPG
More info of the restoration in my bus thread:
https://earlybay.com/threads/bens-72-bay.80276/post-628770https://earlybay.com/threads/bens-72-bay.80276/post-629836
Collection from Marlow, Bucks.

Price £625

Last edited:
Seals perfectly against the fibreglass base. That’s without the clips pulling it down, so it’s going to be nice and snug and quiet when installed71707289-D77E-4C78-87CB-E771646A07ED.jpeg

Last edited:
Great work on the renovation mate!
I've got a 72 sunroof bus and am considering a pop top for headroom, I'm not keen on drilling the roof though. How does the base fit to the roof?
Cheers

Great work on the renovation mate!
I've got a 72 sunroof bus and am considering a pop top for headroom, I'm not keen on drilling the roof though. How does the base fit to the roof?
Cheers
Thank you!
Took far too long to do, but isn’t that always the way with these old buses!!

Honestly not entirely sure how it fits the bus, but there’s a wooden frame around the inside of the fibre glass base and I think you fix through that onto the metal work of the roof.

The outside is covered by the fibre glass and the inside by the wood and then head lining. So I think you wouldn’t have to be mm perfect when installing.

Definitely reckon it’s DIY doable.

There are white bellows you could have and the lifting struts are all included.
Also option to buy hammock bits(both frames and covers, one hammock) for £100

I’ve got someone else lining up to potentially buy via Facebook.
So please let me know and be prepared to pay in full if you are serious about buying 😁👍
Thanks Ben. Perfect size. Do you have the canvas and lifting struts that go with it

Latest posts