gagets westy towbar install help

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

six

Reaction score
hi all

installing gadgets westy towbar. Gadget or If anyone has done theirs already please share your knowledge.

none of the bolt holes line up. i thought maybe they needed enlarging a bit due to tolerances over the years so i opened up a few holes to 13mm still no where close if i remove any more material from the top it will be too weak to bother with a bolt in there.

ive bolted the two bolts either side (ones that mount to the bumper iron mountings from the bottom) and we are way off still. spent 3 hours a wiggling and have got no where.

sorry for the bad pic there is not much room here. the holes are about 3mm short

thanks

KTsENml.jpg

Has your van ever had a rear shunt?
It is a tight fit but will go. Make sure all underseal is removed, then apply loads of grease. Start with the top rear most holes on both sides, get the bolts in a few turns then next is the front vertical closest to the front, this should pull it square and allow you to get the others in place. Took me about 4 hours to fit the 1st time.... One one it is solid as a rock though. Also found that using a trolly jack came in handy...

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Mine fitted straight on, with the use of a trolley jack. All the bolt holes lined up perfectly to the original chassis holes, so not quite sure why yours is so out of line. Only conclusion is its been in a rear shunt at some point and twisted the chassis only slightly, but enough so the holes are not lining up correctly. Other than custom making the end plates to suit your fixing points, i dont see an immediate fix :(

Own a Bay?.........Feel the Love!

get a piece of paper and use a dirty finger and rub your finger in each hole On your bus to make a paper template then compare it with the towbar fittings im sure they will be ok if its one of deans towbars

chris

Hi do you have a picture of the tow bar in full and i may be able to help, just fitted one to my van if its the same i will run through how i did it, also let me know what year your van is

If your bus has had any knocks over the years then it can make it a tad tricky. Deanos advice to me was to slice a roubd file in half and use it in a drill to elongate the holes. Worked a treat. A few mm went a long way

All sorted. Thanks to deano and his awesome customer services.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Latest posts