Garage Lifts

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mginty

Reaction score
South of Bristol somewhere in Somerset....
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Dormobile
I'm thinking of getting a lift fitted and was wondering whether anyone had any experience? I've seen this
post but not much else. Not sure wether to look at a 2 post lift or something more like a quickjack?

Hi, I am in the process of building a big double garage workshop which I have specifically designed to fit a two post ramp. I will be fitting one from Automotech:
https://automotechservices.co.uk/They seem to do a good range of good quality ramps at a really good price.

We use the lifts from Automotech in our workshop and they are great, yes made in china but they get tested every 6 months and no issues at all, I'm taking one of them with me when I move up to bolton and the other one will be for sale

Thanks @sunnyside, those are good prices! Can I ask how big the garage will be and how you are managing the roof joists? I'm just in the planning stages of doing this but am in an AONB which makes life a bit harder!
I have done the block work and the roof so far. I have a friend who is an architect so he came up with the design for the roof joists and did all the calculations for me then me and my Dad built them from C25 structural grade timber. Its a traditional A frame style roof with only 4 A frames.
These have a raised tie with a clearance of 4m below. This allows the lift height of 1.9m with a vehicle of up to 2m in height (and a 10cm clearance) which should be plenty. The garage is 6.5m x 9m so quite big.

It was built under permitted development rights so no planning permission required but I did speak with the council planning office before building it to make sure it definitely did comply with the rules.

As you are in an AONB, you will need planning permission.
94F68E11-9431-4001-BB82-F29394BEB9CF.jpegE1F5FD41-3688-4E53-AF92-785A2B2A9138.jpeg24BD6144-059C-4D2B-87C2-BA3B127A512B.jpeg

Thanks @sunnyside , that's huge!
We are going through planning at the moment & I've just had our first plans rejected which was for an approx 12m x 7m garage with an office on top rejected (not much of surprise there really) which is why I'm now scaling it down to a single story garage only which will be about 9m x7m. One benefit is that this has allowed me to look at the lifts. I don't have the luxury of going so high but can have a vaulted roof like yours which will give me 2600mm at it's lowest. Not sure what it's highest will be but I figured if I can get the van raised just 500mm that's better than nothing and maybe combine with an inspection pit.

Latest posts