Gear issues !!!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wookie

Reaction score
Right guys, I'm at the end of my tether with this one !!!!!

I've been running a stock shifter for years without too much issue but recently after having some work done on the van and when I got it back shifting from 3rd to 2nd was becoming an issue and reverse was often hit instead :evil: I was also having issues selecting reverse itself

I've been after a new shifter for a while and thought I'd treat myself to an empi one as I had that on my old bug for years and it was a easy fit and made a huge difference with driveability etc and was reasonably priced.

I fitted the new shifter and all was good for about 2 corners 200 yards when I could no longer select 1st and in fact I only had 3rd or second on offer I also lost reverse again ! I limped it home and try as I might I'm getting the same issues. When I unbolt and refit the shifter again it's fine when the engine is off I have all gears available and it feels positive and reverse is easy to get with the lockout. When I set off it's the same story all good for few shifts but then I'm back to no first or second gear and only 3rd and fourth as an option.

I've even tried to put the stock one back but that was worse. On one test drive with the EMPI shifter I found that by selecting reverse I could then select first but that went back to just 3rd and fourth.

I can't understand when freshly rebolted and the engine is off I have all the gears and it's great but when moving it starts OK but quickly I'm back to just 3rd and fourth again.

Any ideas? I would have thought if it was the bushings then I wouldn't be able to get them when stationary & switched off? Could it be in the gearbox?

Any help would be much appreciated !!!

Firstly, are you correctly setting the gear stick (90 degrees to the floor when in 2nd gear) and setting the shift plate underneath the stick (pushing it as far to the right as it will go when in 2nd gear)?

Normally, when there is play in the components, the rotation movement of the shift rod is affected, so you would lose reverse or 3rd/4th, so it sounds to me more like an adjustment issue.

Thanks Moseley, I’ve tried that but still was getting the same issues. I’m the end I’ve given in and dropped it off at my local VW garage and seen what they can come up with. I’d hoped Togo camping in her this Friday so I’ll have to keep my fingers crossed 🤞😬

wookie said:
Thanks Moseley, I’ve tried that but still was getting the same issues. I’m the end I’ve given in and dropped it off at my local VW garage and seen what they can come up with. I’d hoped Togo camping in her this Friday so I’ll have to keep my fingers crossed [emoji1696][emoji51]

Too late now, but I had a similar sounding problem and fanny’d about with the shifter for ages, it turned out to be the gear shift linkage coupling at the gearbox nosecone. The rubbers had perished. Hope you get it sorted in time [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk