Gear linkage coupling screw.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velgreeno

Reaction score
Hey all. Well I got my new gearbox installed today on my own with a new gear linkage coupling. Its a VW heritage new coupling and just wondering if it's normal for the screw on a new coupling to protrude out of it ? I have installed it and the screw has gone into the pit in the box shaft and it's tightened up et with no problems and works but to me it just don't look right. If this makes sense. Do new couplings screws protrude ? Cheers. 🤙.

Cheers for the reply Dubselector. Ah that's cool. Oh right. Mine didn't have a hole in the top. It said they are self locking.. Should I change it do you think ? It is tight in there.

Take it from my experience - you want the ability to lock-wire it in place! Make sure the taper on the end is a good fit to the shifter linkage otherwise this could start to move and wear a notch into the recess.

Hey Moseley. Oh right. I have been thinking about it and I have just ordered the proper screw with the hole in the top from Alan Schofield. Better to prevent probs and all. Cheers for the reply. 🤙.

As the others have said you want to lock it with wire. I do fit that the screws that come with the kits are made of chocolate though, over the years I’ve seen some sheer the tapered end off.

Got so fed up with it I now make my own from high tensile cap head bolts in a lathe, I do however appreciate that not everyone has the luxury to do this.

Hey a!l. Well can you believe I found my original one in the garage and it's still in great condition and now it's back in place and a thick wire is going throughthe top of it and it's not going anywhere 🤙.

Latest posts