Gear Shift Issue

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waspman

Reaction score
I have a couple of issues that I have no idea about...bear in mind I was ridiculously pleased with myself that I successfully sorted out the indicator issue (thanks to the advice from here...well basically I did what you lot told me to, but I was chuffed none the less).

So, the gear selection is amazingly sloppy, incredible so. Gear selection is pure guess work and a process of elimination. Also every so often, typically when shifting from 4th to 3rd the top will suddenly rotate in a semi circle but without actually moving the bottom or changing gear. I suspect it is purely the angle I'm pushing the lever rather than a 4th / 3rd issue, i.e. I reckon I could make it do the same in any gear. I am suspecting that the gear shifter (it is original so nearly 50 years old) and the linkage is worn. Since it was OK (except for the huge play in the whole system) before it went in for some work on the steering and a service I am wondering if it could be anything else?

I don't think that this is an issue I will sort myself, but it would be nice to have an idea of the issue when I take it in at the weekend.

sounds like your locating pin is gone from the bottom of the stick plus worn bushes in the shifter rod

I have a feeling that the locating pin never made it back in after the gear lever was removed to do a bit of work.

Thanks very much.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Latest posts