Gear shifting problem sorted.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorlove

Reaction score
I know there are generally similar posts around but just wanted to share my experience incase anyone else has similar problems. Lord knows, such tips helped me sort this problem.

For the years that I've had my bus I've accepted the 'porridge stirring' situation as a given for a bus that age. A couple of weeks ago it suddenly got more and more difficult to get find 1st or 2nd. Third and 4th gear were fine so my option at junctions was to sit for 2-3 minutes until I eventually found 1st, or burn the clutch trying to pull away in 3rd. Interestingly when I did eventually find 1st it went in easily enough and going from 1st to 2nd was easy once in that plane which let me know it was a problem with finding the gate (gear selection) rather than getting through the gate (major gearbox problem). Phew for working that out.

So working front to back:
- ensured gear shifter was secured down and shift plate hadn't moved. Check.
- checked front bushing on front shift rod - did seem a little worn so mental note to order new one.
- find it's not much more expensive to replace all bushings so ordered a kit.
- working further back, realised rear coupling (where rear shift rod meets rod going into gearbox) had a degree of play which didn't seem right. Therefore also ordered EMPI urethane coupling.

Having unbolted and taken off rear coupling (thankfully doesn't require engine out as I thought from reading Bentley manual - that's only if you want to actually remove the whole rear rod) it turns out that the socket in the rear coupling that the rear rod fits into has worked loose and was rotating within the cage of the coupling to a degree (see red arrow). Hence it would not have been rotating the rod in the gearbox cone and hence I couldn't find 1st and 2nd easily. Eureka.

Replaced new coupling (flimsy but will have to do seeing as i can't use my old metal cage), replaced front bushing of the rear selector rod, greased her all up and......

.....drives like a BMW. Well not quite but heavenly shifting compared to the past few years to the extent that my plans for an after-market short shifter are now on hold.

The lesson? Don't wait till it's too late. Change your bushings and think about replacing your rear-coupling. Could be the best thirty quid you spend this month.

Glad you fixed your problem. Yes those grub screws need to be kept tight and should be wired in place for added security. Also, a lot of people don't realise the end of the grub screw engages into a dimple on the selector shaft.

you can straighten the old coupling in a vice then a couple of blobs of weld will stop it rotating again...worked a treat in mine ;)

Bundy said:
you can straighten the old coupling in a vice then a couple of blobs of weld will stop it rotating again...worked a treat in mine ;)

i replaced mine but welded up the old one and bunged it under the seat as a spare ;)

chris

Our grub screw came out somewhere between Cornwall and Birmingham on the way home, still we made it back to the lake district, every other gearchange the stick just wobbled around like it wasn't attached (guess it wasn't) Thank God we got through all the roadworks on the M6.

I've replaced everything you mentioned, had the main rod out and greased it up, replaced front rod, changed gearbox oil , new standard gearstick and it still feels like stirring porridge, (although better than it was) but given that this is the first bus I've owned I can't compare it to anything so don't know if I'm expecting more than is possible from a 45 yr old bus? :|

.....gene berg may be getting a call!! 8) :lol:

mike202 said:
you can get a quick shift kit for a few quid which may be worth trying first?

I havn't got one of these myself yet, as I still need to have a look at my gear change.

Got one of those fitted aswell! :lol:

Will this solve a problem with finding reverse? Mine goes into 1st and through the box quite nice having replaced all bushes a few years ago. But on a big trip round france i began to lose reverse when the engine had been running. Changed box oil, cable, cable sheath. I also changed this part about 5 years ago.

I think i have this very problem you state, only not quite as severe as 2 minutes trying to find 1st! Although i usually have to put mine into 2nd and then into 1st before pulling off, which I've now got used to doing without thinking.
If i try put straight to 1st it tends to fight it, yet into 2nd and it drops into 1st with ease. My gear selection is also very close together ie. 1st and 3rd is hard to tell when initially trying to select 1st. Also i can select reverse without depressing the stick, annoyingly grinding the gears every so often when changing down from 3rd to 2nd but accidentally going into reverse, lol
Its something i will eventually look into.

Thanks for sharing your experience! :cool:

Where did you buy the bush kit from please?

Own a Bay?.........Feel the Love!

I'm like you Foz, I've never had to depress the stick to get reverse, but I find my gears OK. Will add an overhaul to my list of things to do though.

If you're having problems with finding reverse then it's usually because of poor alignment with the shifter plate under the gearstick. Loosen the bolts a bit and change gears until it's easier (not driving, just go through them) then tighten it back up.

Happystamps said:
If you're having problems with finding reverse then it's usually because of poor alignment with the shifter plate under the gearstick. Loosen the bolts a bit and change gears until it's easier (not driving, just go through them) then tighten it back up.

I done this (and replaced the plate) but still get reverse without depressing the stick! I spent hours trying to get it right but just gave up in the end!!

Hmm, maybe you need to take a peek inside the nosecone of your 'box then. But then I suppose the weather has been miserable of late, maybe just make a note on the fridge for summer ;-)

Happystamps said:
Hmm, maybe you need to take a peek inside the nosecone of your 'box then. But then I suppose the weather has been miserable of late, maybe just make a note on the fridge for summer ;-)

That's the only thing that I didn't do last year! Il be doing that this year for sure, weather doesn't matter as I've got a big double garage! 8) :D

Hi, I have just sorted my gear shift out as mine was getting really sketchy, I only needed to replace the front bush in the end and I cant believe what a difference that little bit of plastic made. A quick note to those saying they can get reverse without depressing the gearstick....I changed my shift plate (under the gearstick) with an alloy one my mate had (thought it would be better) and I had this issue, swapped back to the old one and works as it should, the only difference I could see between the two was the alloy one sat a few mm higher than the original, I have no idea why this would make a difference but it did??

hope this helps.........kev :)

Changing the front bush makes a world of difference

This one

http://www.autocrafteng.co.uk/shop/bay-window_109/hand-and-foot-controls_43/shift-rod_189/front-shift-rod-bush-typ-2-65-73_536/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chris

Latest posts