gearbox replacement.....garages in oxfordshire wanted

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hollie bus

Reaction score
can anybody recommend a garage in/near oxfordshire (witney) to get a recon gearbox fitted for my 2.0 ltr t4 engined bus?

cheers

There is the VW Vanshack in Eynshan, couldn't get much closer than that! I've never had any work done by them personally, but I've dropped in to pick up the odd part and they seem to have a fairly tidy set-up.

I know this may sound dumb, but are you sure the gearbox itself is at fault? There are myriad linkage / shifter / clutch parts that could cause problems. A recon gearbox supplied and fitted is likely to be expensive BTW.

Ant

vanshack fitted me a secondhand box a year or so ago, but it whines a lot. They did not really want to do the job as my bus has a t4 motor in it. However to be fair, they did do the job, but I took the risk of a secondhand unit. Should have gone for a recon one straight away! :(

I'd rather find somewhere happy to deal with the t4 motor.

Being a mechanical engineer I am quite happy to do the job myself but I don't have anywhere to do it. Know anybody/anywhere?

Hmmm That's a tricky one. I knew they weren't keen on type 4 engines, but it's hard to see why it should influence a gearbox swap. I've never been near a t4 based engine but I understand they're about twice the weight of a t1! Not got a driveway to work on then :wink:

Give kristian at Cool Air a ring :wink: they can collect your box, recon it and send it back to you 8) very good work. 8)

Im currently waiting for a gearbox replacement to be done.The guy whose doing the job for me is having a box reconditioned for me at the moment so that when he gets it he can have my box out and the new one in on the same day.
Most places want you to send them your box so they can recon it,which worked out to a month with the van off the road,no good to me as mines a daily driver.Also having all the linkage bushes replaced and the clutch if found to be necessary.

Latest posts