gearbox

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peyre

Reaction score
Does any one out there know whether the gearbox input shaft is a d i y job to replace. When i dropped the engine and box and split them the shaft stayed in the engine.

peyre said:
Does any one out there know whether the gearbox input shaft is a d i y job to replace. When i dropped the engine and box and split them the shaft stayed in the engine.
Its a straightforward job, drain oil, split the bellhousing, but it sounds like the retaining circlip has come off the shaft, the conecting gear slid along the shaft and the shaft has rotated, look for the circlip it may have damaged the diff teeth etc, hope for the best.

justin pane said:
peyre said:
Its a straightforward job, drain oil, split the bellhousing, but it sounds like the retaining circlip has come off the shaft, the conecting gear slid along the shaft and the shaft has rotated, look for the circlip it may have damaged the diff teeth etc, hope for the best.
cheers mate i,ll sort that next weekend.

Its not too bad a job but gearbox oil is nasty, smelly stuff

You'll need a new seal or two as well.

I think its just the input shaft seal (easy with the bellhousing off) and the paper gearbox seal. If you ring and get them from bears gearboxes they will talk you through it

Good luck

Seb

beetleseb said:
Its not too bad a job but gearbox oil is nasty, smelly stuff

You'll need a new seal or two as well.

I think its just the input shaft seal (easy with the bellhousing off) and the paper gearbox seal. If you ring and get them from bears gearboxes they will talk you through it

Good luck

Seb
Thanks i,ll sort it at the weekend.

Latest posts