Generator light coming on

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wonderbus

Reaction score
I have problem with my Generator light coming on when it shouldn't. I have a stock 1600 engine which starts easily. The generator light goes out initially but comes on again randomly when I brake at red lights. The van doesn't stall it just carrries on running with the generator light still on. It goes out again if I rev the engine a bit or drive off. Should I be worried about this or not? The fan belt is on tight and it appears to be spinning the generator pulley fine.

Does this mean my generator is on the way out? How can I test it to fine out?

Cheers Ged

what about driving with the lights on or radio on etc.....

could be genny could be regulator could be battery .....

do you have access to a volt meter, ammeter.....

Could just be the oil moving to the front of the engine under braking. Do you have a sump full?

Try running the engine on morris 20w50 fully mineral oil its a good oil and not expensive about £8 for 5L, if your running synthetic or semi synthetic the oil can some times thin out too much when hot.

It might be worth checking the brushes and connections etc before parting with some money. Mine had a similar intermittent problem which turned out to be the voltage regulator, there was a break in the resistance wire on the base of the unit which was the responsible gremlin. The regulator has now been changed and the van is charging well now.

Mine does that too, most recently yesterday at the bottom of a duel carriageway in the rain when it stalled and wouldn't restart due to regulator being knackered and flattening the battery! :oops:

When you have the red light on try tapping the regulator with a hammer (gently) if the light goes out, which it does on mine then theres a good chance that the contacts are manky/burnt and you know the regulator is responsible. I'm assuming its an external regulator not one built into the dyno/alternator.

I don't have access to a voltmeter or ammeter so can't test it. I will try topping up the oil and see if that makes a difference.

Where do i find the regulator?

Are you 100% sure it is the charge light and not the oil light?

To check, remove the wire from the oil pressure sender on the RHS of the large pulley wheel, leaving it so it can't touch any metal. Turn on the ignition (don't bother starting the engine) and only the alternator light should come on.

Do you currently get both ignition lights come on with the ignition (before starting the engine)?

wonderbus said:
I don't have access to a voltmeter or ammeter so can't test it. I will try topping up the oil and see if that makes a difference.

Where do i find the regulator?

Only top up the oil if it needs it. When was the engine last serviced? They like completely fresh oil every year/3000 miles.

Regulator should be on the r/h side as you look at the engine from the back of the bus. It will be behind the air filter

Latest posts