Greater Manchester Clean Air Zone £10/day from June 2023

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davydomes

Reaction score
It's been announced that the above will happen from 1st June 2023. Campervan's with Internal Combustion Engines that don't meet Euro 6 (IV) emission standards be charged £10 per day travelling through Greater Manchester. Motorways and major trunk roads are not included. I think that will be nearly all our rides.

This might be the first one I've heard of that doesn't have an exemption for historic vehicles?!

They've been talking of doing a similar thing in Leeds for a few years, but their plans have been overly broad (e.g. cover 14 miles from the city centre, charge buses, etc.), but they've always kept an exemption for historics

ozziedog said:
Where’s Manchester anyway???

Ozziedog,,,,,,just kiddin :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen:

North of Watford in the badlands.

My friend has just told me that Liverpool are looking into this also. Apparently it's a directive from the Government to all county capitals to look at this.

gvee said:
This might be the first one I've heard of that doesn't have an exemption for historic vehicles?!

They've been talking of doing a similar thing in Leeds for a few years, but their plans have been overly broad (e.g. cover 14 miles from the city centre, charge buses, etc.), but they've always kept an exemption for historics

I haven't come across any exemptions in anything I've read so far, but I hope your right.

Just went on the mancky air zone thingy ma bobber and it says I’m unlikely to need to pay the charge. Great so how realistic is ‘unlikely’ then ???
The Bath one says we’re good to go, let’s just wait for Bristol they’ll charge just to look at the roads :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, sgettin a bit weirdy innit :mrgreen:

Brilliant [emoji106] thanks for that

264ac98772c9c6aed28ec3d944c6654d.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Checked my reg a few weeks ago on the checker and it said my old bay is exempt, there's uproar in Manchester as the cameras are popping up on lampposts all over the place.

Ands1 said:
Checked my reg a few weeks ago on the checker and it said my old bay is exempt, there's uproar in Manchester as the cameras are popping up on lampposts all over the place.
Someone needs to go around with an angle grinder. Being Manchester I don't think we'll be short of volunteers... :mrgreen:

Coda said:
Ands1 said:
Someone needs to go around with an angle grinder. Being Manchester I don't think we'll be short of volunteers... :mrgreen:

Why?

Contraversial opinion - I'm in favour of clean air zones and reducing traffic in city centres. Yes, it takes a bit of adapting, but for so many reason, things need to change.

Minor personal observation - Years back (pre traffic restrictions), I used to work in London on an irregular basis, afterwards, I'd be blowing my nose and the mucus would be black. I went up last week, and that just isn't the case anymore .... that's got to be good, right?

Clem said:
Contraversial opinion - I'm in favour of clean air zones and reducing traffic in city centres. Yes, it takes a bit of adapting, but for so many reason, things need to change.

Minor personal observation - Years back (pre traffic restrictions), I used to work in London on an irregular basis, afterwards, I'd be blowing my nose and the mucus would be black. I went up last week, and that just isn't the case anymore .... that's got to be good, right?

I agree, surely it's better for us all.

I don't disagree with either of you, but I feel that this solution is a little bit like spreadsheet accounting: it changes one number sufficiently enough, to solve the "numbers game" but causes untoward difficulties elsewhere.

The cost of buses (in my city at least) is overly prohibitive. Don't even get me started on the service quality, either.

Pushing people away from driving is amiable, but for some folks that's the only economically viable option.

As for trains... explain to me how it is cheaper for me to fly myself and a colleague to Barcelona, hire a meeting room, and have a slap up meal, than for the two of us to get to London and back?

🤷‍♂️

I'm all for additional taxation on cars to improve air quality.
But there's a reason people still choose to drive (myself included) instead of public transport.
Sort _that_ out and I think the effect will be even more wonderful.

Now that's a whole different discussion, George.
Maybe the solution is to take public transport back into public ownership, and then all the profits are reinvested rather than disappear into shareholders pockets.

sparkywig said:
Now that's a whole different discussion, George.
Maybe the solution is to take public transport back into public ownership, and then all the profits are reinvested rather than disappear into shareholders pockets.

Yep. Public transport is a disgrace in the UK and it needs to change massively. It’s the absolute key to a lot of these problems and yet is miles away from being able to practically help.

Latest posts