Groaning noise

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Coming from the rear right had side I think...

Is it more likely to be wheel bearings or gearbox?

What do shagged bearings sound like?

:?:

If the wheel bearing is 'shagged'. then you can test it easily by jacking up that side and try rocking the wheel in and out (like the nice MOT man does). Anything more than a slight perceptible movement should tell you...

Cheers

James

Thnaks guys, I'll try it tonight.
Fingers crossed it's not the tranny groaning. :shock:

Thanks, but I'm now thinking the noise is coming from the front rhs wheel, so it's either gearings or brakes, both of which I'm going to overhaul when the dropped spindles arrive. No point doing a job twice.

Is it ok to drive around on a noisy bearing for a couple of weeks or will it do damage to any other parts, bearing in mind the spindles are gonna be replaced anyway?

Cheers.
8)

It shouldnt but then you've not proved it is just the bearing, ball joints? shocks?

To be honest to check the front wheel bearings takes minutes and offers peace of mind..

Is there any real heat at the wheel following a drive

Araon said:
It shouldnt but then you've not proved it is just the bearing, ball joints? shocks?

To be honest to check the front wheel bearings takes minutes and offers peace of mind..

Is there any real heat at the wheel following a drive

Shocks are new and I'm going to replace all the ball joints when I fit the dropped spindles too.

Forgot to check for heat, will do that tomorrow.

any further description of the groaning noise?

is it cyclic? constant? intermittant? does it remind you of anything ?

Araon said:
any further description of the groaning noise?

is it cyclic? constant? intermittant? does it remind you of anything ?

It only happens when the vehicle is in motion and is constant, and gets louder as you go faster.

It's a deep goan/moan rather than a whine, scrape or clicking.

:?:

does a quick spray of wd40 into the bearings clear it for a short while? It wont last long but it will help to pinpoint the problem...

it will just penetrate and lubricate a little but theres no longevity to it so if it is the bearing the noise will go or subside for a little before wearing off and returning, it may also flush shit out but if theres grease it there it will remove that too....

Took the front assembly apart yesterday and repacked the bearings with grease, cleaned everything up but it's still noisy.
I think the bearings are worn, but I'm gonna put up with them for a couple of weeks as my dropped spindles are due any day now.

its got to be bearings, its constant with motion, not affect by engine revving, and gets louder as you go faster.

Latest posts