Guess-what-speed-o cable fixed thankyou EB

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starbiscuit

Reaction score
My bus speedo has been erratic since I got it. The needle flicked at low speed and sometimes stopped altogether for a few minutes.

It was live-able until a couple of weeks ago it stopped working and didn't recover, so after a quick search on EB, I checked that the cable end was still poking through the grease cap and cable/hole were both still square, and that it was still attached at the speedo end, and figured that the cable was probably snapped inside.

Fortunately GSF had one of their "sale" promo weekends :roll:, so I was able to pick up a new cable locally for under £12.

On fitting it I found that the circlip holding the old cable in the grease cap was too big for the new cable. Actually it was loose on the old one.
Fortunately EB had the answer again (Toad post in viewtopic.php?f=4&t=54043) and I had a broken fuel pump to scavenge from.

It was obvious why the old cable wasn't working; there's only a few inches connected to the speedo head. How it ever worked I don't know.

IMG-20190506-115033872-HDR.jpg

I could not find any hints on replacing the speedo cable in Bentley or Haynes. But from experience on my 1970 RHD, I now know:
+ It can be done without removing the dash instruments
+ Removing the kick panel is helpful
+ Attaching string to the end of the old cable before pulling it up through the front panel makes it easier to guide the new one back down behind the washer bottle and through the lower crash structure
+ Removing the grease cap makes it easier to locate the new cable end in the square hole
+ Rotating the inner cable using the grease cap before refitting (or rotating the wheel) makes it easier to engage in the speedometer

Time for a road test :)

Good tips there. I think a bit of gear oil in the top of the cable tube can help with turning when it’s really old. [emoji3]

Let us know how you get on with the new cable. [emoji6]

I think we'll call it a success.

Speedo works now *and* I didn't lose any dash lights or gauges, which I thought I might have disturbed by doing the job with the instrument panel in-situ.

Latest posts