Headlamp backing plate

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

Huyrob

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
118
Reaction score
9
Location
Wirral
I am having trouble locating a supplier. I need one backing plate with adjusting screws at 12 and 3. O’clock. The outer rim is a one screw rim. I also need the 2 retaining springs and the small plastic captive blocks that the adjusting screws/ bolts go in to. Any help much appreciated, It’s for the drivers side of a 71 lhd westie. Thanks
 

Huyrob

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
118
Reaction score
9
Location
Wirral
I’m not sure really, it is an import but not sure whether the lights were changed, it’s very confusing!
 

Coda

Well-known member
Joined
May 25, 2020
Messages
351
Reaction score
19
Location
Tewkesbury
If you have a US bus, you should have three tabs in the headlight buckets - that you can screw these to: http://www.autocrafteng.co.uk/shop/bay-window_109/lights-and-lenses_42/us-specfslashsealed-beam-headlamps_177/headlamp-retaining-ring-assembly-us-spec-type-1-2-and-3_1996/ I think they are designed to accept sealed beam type lamp units: http://www.autocrafteng.co.uk/shop/bay-window_109/lights-and-lenses_42/us-specfslashsealed-beam-headlamps_177/semi-sealed-beam-unit-us-spec-type-1-2-and-3_1995/

I'm rebuilding my 71 headlights right now, but they are three hole RHD (not US import) and I'm going to buy the bits from Autocraft tomorrow.
 

Huyrob

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
118
Reaction score
9
Location
Wirral
sparkywig said:
A pic will help.

I will try to get one when the rain stops. Needed to sort the light out for mot….it passed but was a real pain having to conjure up a way of retaining the light because the small plastic captive blocks had lost their thread. Not relishing the thought of taking it off again!
 

Coda

Well-known member
Joined
May 25, 2020
Messages
351
Reaction score
19
Location
Tewkesbury
While you have the light(s) off, have a look at some diagrams to help you make sense of them. There is a good page all about the different lamps here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=323108
 

Huyrob

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
118
Reaction score
9
Location
Wirral
Coda said:
If you have a US bus, you should have three tabs in the headlight buckets - that you can screw these to: http://www.autocrafteng.co.uk/shop/bay-window_109/lights-and-lenses_42/us-specfslashsealed-beam-headlamps_177/headlamp-retaining-ring-assembly-us-spec-type-1-2-and-3_1996/ I think they are designed to accept sealed beam type lamp units: http://www.autocrafteng.co.uk/shop/bay-window_109/lights-and-lenses_42/us-specfslashsealed-beam-headlamps_177/semi-sealed-beam-unit-us-spec-type-1-2-and-3_1995/

I'm rebuilding my 71 headlights right now, but they are three hole RHD (not US import) and I'm going to buy the bits from Autocraft tomorrow.
Yes Ihad a look at them, seem really good. What I’m not sure about is do you use the long screws to adjust the beam and are there threaded holes in the plate for this? They don’t seem to use the small plastic captive blocks although the photo isn’t terribly helpful.
 

Huyrob

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
118
Reaction score
9
Location
Wirral
Coda said:
While you have the light(s) off, have a look at some diagrams to help you make sense of them. There is a good page all about the different lamps here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=323108

That’s really helpful, thanks. Mine seem very similar to the one. 097-00 second one down , although that one only seems to show adjustment screw and plastic block at 12.00 position with none at 3.00?
 

Huyrob

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
118
Reaction score
9
Location
Wirral
Well taken some photos. Took rim off and what a pain trying to get it back on, especially due to the fact that I’ve got stupid eyebrow covers that kept pinging it off. Back on but glad MOT done as I’m sure it wouldn’t pass on beam direction now. Would love to change the whole arrangement.Any suggestions for an upgrade to easier set up?




 

Coda

Well-known member
Joined
May 25, 2020
Messages
351
Reaction score
19
Location
Tewkesbury
How about this:

https://youtu.be/hfsuFTHmfGg

I found that when I was searching for info regarding the different headlights. If I didn't want to keep my bus looking original, I'd think about something similar.
 

Huyrob

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
118
Reaction score
9
Location
Wirral
Coda said:
How about this:

https://youtu.be/hfsuFTHmfGg

I found that when I was searching for info regarding the different headlights. If I didn't want to keep my bus looking original, I'd think about something similar.
Mmm. Different. He didn’t go through the procedure for altering beam on the lcd’s though?
Thanks
 

Latest posts

Top