Headlight not working

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejinx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My electrical knowledge is pants and Ive looked through the archive. This morning I had my left headlight working with side light and my right just had side. High beam worked on both. I removed the headlight cleaned contact points and put it back together. I now have nothing on the right. Left is same but I still have high beam on both.

I have a multi meter cheaply from Halfords and am currently googling how to use it. I’ve booked an MOT for Friday next week. Thanx in advance as always

I’m looking at a wiring diagram which shows each light has its own fuse? Problems is which is which. :shock:

Here's a link to the highlighted headlight wiring. I know it's for US buses, but I can't find a Euro wiring diagram at the moment.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bus_1972_headlights.jpg

Fuses 3 & 4 are the dipped beam circuits, check the fuses.

Bus wiring is pretty straightforward, it's only 12V after all. Learn how to use your multimeter first, it will make it much easier.
Check the fuses first.
Then see if there is 12V at the lampholder connections with the headlight switch on.

I’ve got a multi meter too. I just use it to stop my fag papers blowing away. Now I’ve stopped smoking I’d best learn how to use it before I get caught out. Would be nicer if it played nice tunes like that oscilloscope I used to have that I also didn’t know how to use. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,looked great in the garage with wiggly lines to go with the sounds :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

Don't forget to check the actual bulbs themselves - it's not that unusual that when one blows it blows the other one, or when you fit a new one on side the other one gives up - this is due to the filaments gradually burning away over time and getting thinner so even a small increase in current can burn them out. Both the 410 original style and the H4 upgrades are twin filaments so dipped beam can blow whilst high beam remains intact. You can check for continuity with your multimeter by setting it to 200 in the ohms range and connect he black lead to a terminal on the bulb and then the red to the remaining terminals one at time. Good bulb should show a reading of around 01 on these readings. Also do you hear the relay clicking when pull the stalk back for high and low beam ?

Cheers all update. When I checked the fuses although they looked ok when I removed them the plastic on one had perished or heated up in the past so there was no metal to metal contact. Sorted now ready for the MOT.

Update. I took the van for its MOT yesterday. Sailed through however he did say the headlights would be dazzling lorry drivers they were so high. Asked me to re align while I was there. He didn’t make it an issue as he had already passed it.

Latest posts