headlining question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curly head

Reaction score
being a newbie :oops: and now putting my van back together i was wondering if someone could please help me, images would be great.

i have read alot of the headlining threads and was wondering if i use 3-4mm ply how does the ply finish around the front of the van ie above sunvisors? does it sit above or below the rear view mirror mount?

also has anyone here fitted foam backed vinyl to the ply as i am not sure whether i like the wood finish? dont know if this would ripple up when bent into position?

any help welcome

cant wait to finish it!!!! is it normal to cost double and take twice as long? :lol:

No my friend taking twice as long ,and costing twice as much is a myth! I would say three times as long and four times more expensive is closer to reality!Good luck with headliner mate ,me too in same situation....

I'm planning on fitting a vinyl head lining, but i have a tintop :lol:
Still not sure how yet but i'm sure glue will come in handy ;)

froggy said:
Word of warning,i once attempted fitting a headliner,oh my god absolute shocker of a job,never again,mine ended up looking like it had been in a roadside bomb attack!!!

ha ha ha - that all makes me feel a bit better, especially as i have a kid on the way and could really do with putting my money elsewhere

forgot to say my van was a westy pop top but had been previously converted to a paris sunroof

it already has the ali 'J' trim on the internal sides. the ply roof i ripped out was so badly done it was a joke!!!

any ideas still welcome :p

Would my templates be any good bud think we spoke about it but cant remember if you had any ,

The Ply i have got for mine is 3mm Baltic Birch Ply in 5' X 5' sheets 8)

Check pictures in my headliner thread dude

davebug said:
froggy said:
Word of warning,i once attempted fitting a headliner,oh my god absolute shocker of a job,never again,mine ended up looking like it had been in a roadside bomb attack!!!
Mine currently looks like its been in a fight with a shark and lost (although would hate to see what the shark looked like :lol: )
Its a job that i'm not looking forward to but realistically have no choice but to try, have you seen the price to have 1 fitted :shock:

can anyone recommend where to buy the 5' x 5' sheets?

i have had absolutely no joy unless i want about 100 sheets!!!! :lol:

Hi curly head
Can't help with the ply :( .But I'm in the same boat as you..Paris sunroof yet to be fitted, roll-on a nice sunny day :D .
I have a Question...How are you going to finish/fix the ply around the edge of the hole in the van roof :?:
The channels for the sliding bows is smaller/shallower than the original metal roof supports so you/me will have a gap of around 15mm at the front and rear of the sunroof.That's if the original westy roof/ply fitted tight up to the metal roof supports....could someone verify this please.......
Then we/I have a problem with the sides.....ply fits into the J channel but how does it fix at the sliding channel end,bearing in mind the 15mm gap will also be along the sides as well.
I posted a question about the J channel regarding the measurement from the bottom of the channel to say top of window,so I could use original size ply.
Buy the templates of Grazy and fit these with a bit of trimming...job done :D .but looking further into it there's the problems above to get over first.
Ive got a 2.3 metre long hole to fill so need some kind of support along the edge.
Any ideas appreciated....Dave

groundhugger

my hole :lol: is not a big as yours, only about 1m long. i think i may of had an original sunroof model that someone converted to a pop top and then put on a paris beetle rag top. i know, i cant beleive some people either!!! :roll:

as the side headlining sections on mine are going to be shorter than yours i was going to use a short length of 'I' section channel to join the back to side sections and side to front sheet. does that make sense? there is a thread on here where someone has found a supplier - i will try and track it down and let you know.

i havent thought about how i am going to fix the ply around aperture edge but may use something like this:

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1294-pvc-edge-trim.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i hope this helped - still trying to find a wood supplier :msn4:

Hi curly head.
Yes is does make sense :D and with yours being such a short section of ply on the side it will more than likely stay rigid.
I like the idea of using the trim around the edge.
I was thinking of putting an extra C channel below the sliding channels on the sides like this

roof.jpg

Front and rear probably cut this arc out of ply bonded together and covered some how.
Im still unsure whether the original ply fits tight up to the roof supports.Looking at pictures of westies on the forums there's a big void between the ply and outer skin of the roof.If that's the case then the templates would have to be made wider so the ply raised up to close the gap......Dave

This is the gap I'm going on about ,doesn't look like the ply is fixed up tight to the roof supports

444549160503_0_BG.jpg

Pic from Cali_bays van
So you would have to make the ply wider for the front and back sections,so it raises up more

I need to tackle this as well. Apparently, on Dormobiles (like mine) the cab was done in headliner and the back in some sort of board. I don't want to lose any headroom in the cab, so will need something that sits up pretty close to the roof - might even be some sort of patchwork arrangement.

I'm not sure about how noisy it will be with ply, unless it's covered with something.

ground hugger

my paris beetles sunroof comes with a bit of added on vinyl that covers up that hole. it all looks a bit unfinished but should be ok once installed properly with edging

Hi Curlyhead
Ive got that white headliner vinyl sewn into the rear of the roof.Like you say it should look ok when the trim is added,bit of confusion on my part :oops: I didn't know about the two size's of ply liner.
Ive looked at Grazys post a few times now and thought he only had them for poptop westy's.Think I should go to specsavers :lol: