Heat risers leak?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carripana

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post and I begin with a problem I didn't see any description searching in google/other foruns.
I have late bay 1973 with a 1600 typ1, single port and I'm confused with my heat risers.
Recently I needed to remove my exhaust and muffler for repair when I looked the heat risers flanges and both sides were blank off (plug welded).
Well I removed the air intake manifold with the heat risers for drilling (my muffler the path for the heat risers is from #4 cylinder to #2 cylinder), so I drilled 3/8" at inlet and 1/4" at outlet. Next when I was washing the heat risers inside with water I found water coming out from the air intake manifold.
I was choked, I didn´t expect that.

I repeat the test several times always I found the heat risers with a passage to air intake side - I suspect it has a good size because the water more easily comes from air intake and only later I can see flowing from the other heat riser exit.

My doubt, I don't know if this is normal or abnormal (it shouldn't be normal I think)
My manifold is a 113-129-701K 1 with vw logo (stock?). I thought that the blank off heat riser flanges was something from factory. The heat risers are perfectly clean, not blocked, but somewhere inside the aluminum jacket there is a passage to air intake (deffective part?).

I need advices/suggestions to what to do.
Thanks

Latest posts