Heated rear window

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoddy

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've a heated rear window in my bus but only have a wire connected to the one spade on one side of the glass. The other has the remains of a wire but I can't find no sign of it having recently removed the headliner.

The dash switch itself....should this have 2 larger gauge wires coming off the connections feeding each side of the rear window?

Be good to get it connected back up and working before I have a headliner fitted in a few months. Struggling to trace what I'm missing at the mo.

Cheers
Craig

2 feeds into the dash switch, one side from the fuse box, the other goes to the rear window. So that's the12 volts sorted. The other side of the window needs to be put to earth/chassis.

Test the wire wire you have connected, with a multimeter, to see if it is the 12 v side. Obviously switch the switch on on the dash when you are testing it.

You can also do a continuity test between the two spades on the window to check that it is still OK.

Then connect the spare spade to earth (which is what I suspect to be the broken wire, its this one that normally goes.)

Top man! Will do that and hopefully quick fix [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]

On my one - standing at the back on the outside the one on the right is the 12v feed!

Hi All

Good news.... I have power to the heated window! Stuck a connector back on the earth wire and just need to tap it into somewhere. Before I drill a hole that might not be required......does anyone know where this would have been originally earthed?

Cheers
Craig

Just had a look at my van, the wire disappears inside the rear hatch, next to the connector then reappears by the side of the hinge and follows this in a loop, with clips holding it to the hinge side and is earthed with a screw that holds the wood roof lining up at the back edge.

Very interesting! I have the same clips on the hinge but the only holes I've found on the roof are where the plastic hinge covers fasten. Mine is the material liner / was! Wonder if it can Earth on one of these

Anywhere a screw goes into the main bodywork should be ok for earth, they obviously thought the hatch might not earth well. Leave a good loop in the wire to allow for movement of the hatch.

Latest posts