Hello To All ...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Garry here form the Colonies . I'm A Newbie and I'm very glad to be able to come (over) and visit .
I've been visiting as a guest for about 5 weeks now . I truly enjoy seeing all the work being done to
keep the V Dubs alive :lol: I have seen a good many exciting subject mater here .
For instance , some of the wonderful equipment you have to work on the underside . I've seen several different
types and would like to know where to get one or at least the plans for one ,to build from .
I've also seen several special suspension components , used to lower the Bays . Not to mention all the superb restoration
work being done on Bay after Bay after Bay . :) 8)
I currently have 2 Bays , one is the '69 Westy. The other is a Champagne Edition .
A passenger Bay , with sun roof,I have a high top to put on and make into a full camper. It has a "Z" bed in the
back already.? No engine , or front seats . It has a very good body near rust free and a 5 rib trany .
My first bay was a '69 westy , not the one I have now , but back in '71 . Then about 6 years ago ,my best VW friend , moved away and got married.
He asked me to be his best man, an honer for me , and the night before the wedding he showes me this'69 westy . I had always said that some
day I wanted to get another '69 camper,he asks me "what do you think of this one?" I say "It needs some work , but has a lot of potential .
He then hands me the keys and says "It's all yours ." I'm speechless ! He then says " Besides it's customary to give the best man a gift ."
Well it is still in storage at his home( 15 acers in South Carolina) awaiting some work . It has an awesome interior , the body is rough but use able . Sorry I have gone on so long , just excited about this awesome site . Looking forward to meeting New Volks here .
Will go for now...
Later
Garry De
PS the on line name "Appalachian American "is a politically correct name for "Hill Billy" , here in the Blue Ridge Mts. . . :roll:A-vatar2.jpg This is supposed to be my avatar but did not come up ??? Need help!!!

Thanks Jon, I have been Eyeing your wireing harness work to . I'm doing a restro on a '63 bug.
What would one go for??? :p

Bug harness start at £200 for a standard loom plus shipping but extra's can be added in if needed to for a little extra.

thanks

Jon

Welcome Garry.... and get yer pics up lad....

So what plans have you for getting the 69 on the road....

Many Thanks Jon & Aaron, for the welcome :p Also Thanks Jon for the quote on the loom :) As for the '69 getten on the road :?: Too many others ahead of mine :cry: (1st) my granddaughters '92 Cabrio,repaint PINK& replace Engine,(2nd) my daughters '74 Bay Westy,complete resto,engine rebuild , repaint met ORANGE pretymuch the full works :wink: But first I have to take an engine down to S.C.,do a swap,and drive him back here to E.Tn. :roll: Here's a pic of the old home stead ,looking north into the state of Virginia , the Mt tops in the distance , about 1/2 mile.Here we have Tennessee ,Virginia , Kentucky & North Carolina , all come together,in a twenty mile rad.
In the pic , from a-top of my shop, you also see my '93 EVMV daily driver,my daughters '74Westy& my first VW '63 Bug ,bought in '69 :oops: yes I did that to it :oops: But now that I have it back ,I promised him I would put him back stock :wink: I'll post more goodies at another time :)
Very glad to be a part :D
Later Garry De

Attachments

• The Gap1.jpg
    The Gap1.jpg
    71.3 KB
Welcome Garry, its nice to have members from across the pond :D

A bit of trivia, 'Hill Billy' was first used to describe the Ulstermen (Like me) that settled in the Hills in the New Country Frontiers. The Name 'Billy' came from King William of Orange, Davy Crockett was the most famous Hill Billy, his grand parents born near a town called Ballynahinch :)

Many Thanks Johnny, For the welcome & the trivia :wink: I was on the phone with my friend Richard Austin,(the one that gave me the '69 Westy) , when I opened this post.I had been telling him about my intro here ,with the referance to "Hill Billy." He was telling me the history of "Hill Billy" being form there , while I was loging in. I said " You aren't going to belive this , BUT." We were both supprised :eek: to get this information .
In a good way :D Sad to say nether of us had ever heard the facts as to where Davey's parents or grandparents were from :oops:
Here you only hear about his part in history,but not so much as to before him or his family :( He was however , born in the county of Green , near the town of Radford Tennessee :wink: Just some thirtyfive miles west of here (Kingsport , Tn.)
I also find the connection to , King William of Orange , very interesting :) Why you say :?: Well just 100 miles west of
Kingsport , is the University of Tennessee- Knoxville . Home of the UT Volunteers . the school colors are ORANGE & white :?: Most interesting :wink: Of corse the name (Voulnteers) is most defiantly derived from the famous Mr.Crockett and his men. who fought , not unlike their kin , The Ulsterman's of Orange :wink:
Again I thank you Johnny, for the History and welcome. Seems we have a bit more than Volks Early bays in common :eek: :D :Later Garry De

Latest posts