Help Needed - Oil Cooler choice

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nugsy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whilst trying to sort out issues with my new engine build, I happened to meet a chappy who builds air cooled engines to put in Porsche replicas.
He recommended that with a 1776 running twin 34 ICT's etc he would not run it unless it had an external oil cooler. Never got to chat to him for long enough, but all he did say was "you can get a Scat kit for about £150, but I wouldn't touch one of those"

So what is the best oil cooler kit to get, and any pics of fitting welcomed.

I did just look at these two posts but need more inspiration

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=64985&p=535204&hilit=oil+cooler#p535204" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=64985&p=535204&hilit=oil+cooler#p535204" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had a normal cooler kit style cooler for 6 years, worked absolutely fine and did help.

I have just reaplaced it with a Mocal unit of similar spec and switched the fan from the front face to the rear as a puller fan and I have dropped almost 20 degree's for this simple swap.

I would buy the best cooler you can afford.

I dont have any pictures at present, sorry.

I've just fitted a 13 row cooler with a small scoop and no fan, which I got from Dan Simpson. The maiden voyage will be tonight, so I should get an idea of how well it performs then. I found these two threads useful when doing some research:

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=61821&p=514112&hilit=external+oil+cooler#p514112" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5562&p=510557&hilit=external+oil+cooler#p510557" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the advice Alex and Ash. Hadn't found those two threads.

Looks like location of choice is under the battery tray, one question though; Does the oil cooler not hang down dangerously far? Cant tell if its lower than the exhaust/bumper mounts, sump.

So I need:

a take off plate for between the existing filter, but says it needs modifying for a twin port. Anyone now what mods are required and is the single port one different

A Mocal 19 row coiler

A sandwich plate for the filter housing same as from Sparkys thread

Oil lines/connectors

My van has no belly pans,

the cooler if fitted between the chassis rail and the inner sill oposite the sliding door, far more room here and less worry of stones being kicked up off the tyre.

Same here.

You can't really tell from this angle, but it is higher than the chassis rail, the only issue is routing the hoses. On a test run last night made a good 20 degree difference.

Parts I used:

Mocal sandwich plate with thermostat and filter adapter
Oil cooler
Scoop
Hoses and fittings

A5H said:
Same here.

You can't really tell from this angle, but it is higher than the chassis rail, the only issue is routing the hoses. On a test run last night made a good 20 degree difference.

Parts I used:

Mocal sandwich plate with thermostat and filter adapter
Oil cooler
Scoop
Hoses and fittings

Neat install, nice one

That is a clean install ASH.

How does the oil enter your full flow system from the standard oil system? Ive seen the option for a take between the standard cooler and block, but that's about £70 and needs mods. Others I've seen are one that comes off the oil pump and another option seems to be to tap the case

I have belly pans on mine though and wouldn't want to start messing with them to get a cooler in, lord knows what lives in there :shock: I still keep finding weird fragmented web everywhere, even after 4 years.

Thanks both :D

The take off is from a Berg pump cover and the case is tapped for the return.

Latest posts