Help researching reg number

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forevergrinding

Reaction score
Hello,have
Please can anyone help me/offer advice on getting hold of the registration number of my 1970 bus?

I purchased a restoration project a couple of months back without registration plate or V5. It is a RHD UK bus, I have got hold of a VW birth certificate and have researched the M-Plate and that tallies to the vin, so pretty confident it is all legit. It has a full length Devon Moonraker top...so should have been added/converted late 70's at the earliest (not being produced before 79)

I queried the VIN with DVLA and they advised they have no record, which I'm guessing must means that it has not been on the road since 81, but given the Devon roof, I am really struggling to believe that. I can't reasearch the 10 digit vin in any websites as they only work for post 81...I do wonder if DVLA have not tried particularly hard to look up the bus and have given me a stock answer given the age.

So I've reached a bit of a dead-end and don't know where to go next...reasearched Mplate, Vin and Devon roof serial number, but found nothing (or looked in the wrong place). Any ideas welcome.

Thanks
Forevergrinding

If the previous owner did not update the log book to a V5 then the number could be lost especially if the DVLA have no record of it and these numbers that were clawed back are now issued out to age related vehicles such as imports etc.

In order to get a V5 for it its likely you will have to reapply for a reg number using a V55/5 at your local DVLA office, not complicated you will need to provide proof of age (birth Certificate), MOT, Insurance and some proof of who you are, takes approx 5 working days and you will get a reg number back in the post.

Thanks Graham,
So a lost cause then you reckon. So if I re-register using V55/5 would that put me on a Q plate, or ould I be able to get an age related plate too? And as I am rebuilding the bus (some panels, archesand floor - no major chassis work), at what point does it loose it's classic (tax free) status?
Thanks again
Forevergrinding

No as long as you can prove the age (birth certificate) then it would be issued with an age related plate and will be tax free, its the same process as registering an import.

Latest posts