Hi from the Midlands

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi and welcome along. Ask away with questions, I’m not the sharpest tool in the box on this site by any stretch of the imagination but there’s quite a few that are. Best way to ingratiate yourself into this forum is to bang up a good looking picture for us to ogle and you’ve done that with bells on, as that is one crackin lookin bus. I’ve got the same style mirrors on mine which is a RHD. The only issue I have with them is a thing I call misinformed sudden braking. Occasionally when approaching a roundabout, perhaps a little too casually, I’ll slam the brakes on :ROFLMAO: as all of a sudden I see something approaching the roundabout from my right so pull up quickly, then there’s nothing there:rolleyes: and it wasn’t for quite some time that I worked out that if I just glanced quickly it would look like something was entering the roundabout when in fact it was a car following me that I’d seen in the damned mirror:unsure: But apart from that they are grrrreat. Do you get anything like that from a left hooker? Don’t be shy about questions or even starting your own thread over in ‘Galleries’ and we all love the pics for sure:)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, catch you in a field somewhere :)

Well I drove it 167 miles home, in the dark, in the rain, never driven a t2 before, so that was pretty brave lol

It doesn’t run right though, need to get the twin webbers tuned up.

The only issue I have is the blind spots caused by the tall old westfalia cabinets so going to strip all that out

Welcome to the forum Cheryl. Enjoy!

Well I drove it 167 miles home, in the dark, in the rain, never driven a t2 before, so that was pretty brave lol

The only issue I have is the blind spots caused by the tall old westfalia cabinets so going to strip all that out
Exactly what I did. Mine had a Westy interior in when I got it and I whipped it out during the first resto way back when. I only ever put it back in to show it and sell it. Mine was never a Westy anyhow, just someone had fitted it to replace a home made interior I believe. RHD Westy stuff fetches good money or store it if you have the space. Westy owners seem to love it but I found it all a tad claustrophobic so I’ve got a bed and a coool box for Stella in mine and not much else :) Don’t go crazy until you’ve been to a few shows and seen what can be done

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, you’ll love it :)

Hi, and also in the midlands. Where abouts in the midlands are you? Lovely looking bus. 😎

Those Twin Webbers !!!
They take the rap all the time and they can be naughty , but usually a decent good look around and fettle will produce wonders. I’d start with re setting the valve clearances then move on to a nice oil change and re set and clean the points and them plugs and change the condenser, new air filters seems to get neglected a lot too . Do the basic stuff before you go looking for trouble with them Webbers.
Once you’ve managed your oil change, check your oil level before you start the motor every single time you drive it and keep a pint or a litre in by the battery for topping up. I prefer to top up when cold and get right close to the full mark on the dipstick, don’t overfill. If you’ve been for a decent drive and you are checking your oil level, expect it to be down on the stick a bit when it’s hot or warm as a lot of the oil is still in and around the inside of the motor, then as it cools it’ll drain into the sump. Once you’ve had the van a while you will start to know how much or how little oil it will use, they’ll always use more if you push them a bit. There’s always the chance of starting a fight if you ask “What Oil” as there’s umpteen different versions. I like a multi flavour , mineral based classic style oil and nearly every oil is ten times better than the oils available back when these were new, and the old maxim of any oil is better than no oil when it’s all gone Pete Tong. Halfords do a decent one as do Wilko, and don’t forget these are pretty primitive motors but the oil is a major part of the cooling set up. You have some pretty decent outfits in the Midlands that could help you get it running right and some actually run tuition on VW maintenance like Midland EarlyBay.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,run it right and enjoy :)

Well done!, reminds me of when i drove mine home to Brum from Southampton, gear selection was a lotto😬 at best!. Enjoy your dub👍Mines ex USA too😎. Gaz

Welcome to the Aircooled gang, heres Ivan. Wasn't like that before I did the restoration.Also a USA bus sent to Boston USA in Sept 71. Screenshot_20221114-213946_Facebook.jpg

Latest posts