Horn

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shiplee123

Reaction score
I've had my steering column apart. It was like it when I purchased the bus as it needed a new ignition lock.
Apart from a couple of missing parts it all seemed ok.

If I touched the horn wire to the top of the column with the ignition on the horn would sound.

Happy days!

Even so I've fitted a claxton as u never know when these horns r gonna give up on u?

Anyway , today I received through the post the large spring that goes under the steering wheel. I fitted it and put my steering wheel on , turned on the ignition and the horn goes off straight away.

What am I missing or what have I done wrong ?

Prior to fitting the spring if you had everything on except the spring did the horn sound when the ignition was turned on ?

Hi Sam

I must admit it not tried it with the steering wheel on without the spring.
When I connected the bottom cable just tried touching the cable to top of column and all seemed fine!
But it does seem since I put the spring in place. I was waiting for this spring so didn't bother putting the steering wheel back on till I fitted it.

Ok well the steering wheel acts a connection so plays a part in the circuit.
A few things to check.

1. Have you or Keiran replaced the rubber coupling between the column and the steering box. If yes then is it a repro or genuine, the repro have metal reinforcing and short the circuit making the horn sound.

2. Have you put the wire from the steering wheel on the steering box coupling on the steering box side of it ? that's where it needs to be not the column side.

3. Do you have no 22 on the diagram ?

4. Do you have 12 on diagram

The usual fault is a repro coupling and the wire being connected to the column not the steering box.

Right I know I've got 22

I'm not sure about 12 I'll have to have a look at that. What does 12 do? Guess it's another insulating part?

The rest I'll have to check out in the morning and get back to u!

Dad's round for another go at the electrics Friday am. Gonna be a frustrating day !

Today after work I fitted the indicator parts I was waiting for. My indicators now work :)
Break lights work :)
Low beam work on front but not full!
One light works at back the other looks like it won'ts to try but only half hearted.
Wipers work if we stick a live on it but not with the live it's got at moment

Obviously needs sorting.

If we don't get anywhere Friday I'll have to contact a auto electrician

12 isolates the outer column from the steering lock/ignition.
I would put my money on a repro coupling being the problem

Just checked steering wheel
Took spring off then steering wheel back on and horn sounds as soon as ignition is turned on grrrr

No number 2 mate, the horn works the following way.
The power to the horn goes the spade connecter at the bottom of the outer column.
The earth goes from the steer wheel down the inside of the steering column, through the number 2 and on to the the steering box side. If anything is making a circuit from the outer column to the steering column them the horn will sound.

Have you got the isolating washers under the screws that holds the aluminium part of the horn push(the bit where the wire connects)

Steve

Sorry to hijack this thread, but sounds like there are some rare people here who know their stuff about early bay steering columns.

My 'number 12' (as above) has somehow escaped and slid down the outside of the steering column. Where does it go, and any ideas how to get it back with minimal fuss or risk of damage? I've read all the usual sources but I've only found the exploded diagram which doesn't really help to understand how to get it back.

Thanks.

Eventually sussed it. There's a retracting pin (possibly part of the steering lock mechanism ?) that I had to wedge out and then the number 12 just slides in. The outer column is now insulated from the inner column. Horn still not working, but I think I've made progress.

Latest posts