Hot Start Relay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gagvanman

Reaction score
Been having an issue ever since I fitted a new starter battery end of last year. If I leave the van alone for over a week, I have difficulty starting (I know I should start it more frequently). Alternator is kicking out over 14v and the battery drops to 12.1v, If I don't depress the clutch pedal the starter has difficulty in turning the engine over so I guess not enough current reaching the starter. Starter is only a year old so I hope it's not dying on me.
Anyway, I decided to go the "Hot Start Relay" route so got a pack of 3 12v relays with holders complete with built in 30 amp fuses. Bonus with this, I can carry a spare relay, also got a built in simple anti-theft device, if the relay is removed engine won't start.
Installed in the bus mounted on the redundant voltage regulator mount. All seems good for now, time will tell.

Attachments

• Relays.jpg
    Relays.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0056.jpeg
    IMG_0056.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
It’s a good idea to fit one to our old buses as all the current from the battery goes straight to the starter motor rather than travel a longer distance. I take it by your post you have fitted a new battery and starter motor in the last12 months. Hopefully the new starter motor is good quality and will be ok.
I assume you mean you’ll pull the fuse out from the relay as an anti-theft method. It’s another thing to prevent theft I suppose.
Difficulty starting the engine after a week is fairly normal isn’t it if you have a mechanical pump?
It sometimes takes four or five goes to get mine going. That’s because of the fuel slowly being pumped up the carbs. Although over the winter I don’t constantly start the engine as I have read it’s bad for it, due to the engine just idling and not running up to temp there will be condensation in the engine. If you are going out for a decent run in the winter then I would think that would ok. I don’t like to because of the salt on the roads. I like to just leave mine withe batteries on charge.

Hi. Yes my mistake, I meant pull the fuse not the relay. Right up until my previous battery died, I could leave the bus for over a month and it would still start ok. I do have an electric fuel pump and wait until I can hear the clicking settle down.
I know using the fuse as an anti-theft device won't stop a determined thief (I also have a tracker fitted) but I hope it would put off opportunist scroats.

Sounds as though the battery is failing then. Should be 12.6 V when fully charged IIRC. Try giving it a good charge up and then test voltage. Or is there something draining the current away from it whilst parked up.

Been having an issue ever since I fitted a new starter battery end of last year. If I leave the van alone for over a week, I have difficulty starting (I know I should start it more frequently). Alternator is kicking out over 14v and the battery drops to 12.1v, If I don't depress the clutch pedal the starter has difficulty in turning the engine over so I guess not enough current reaching the starter. Starter is only a year old so I hope it's not dying on me.
Anyway, I decided to go the "Hot Start Relay" route so got a pack of 3 12v relays with holders complete with built in 30 amp fuses. Bonus with this, I can carry a spare relay, also got a built in simple anti-theft device, if the relay is removed engine won't start.
Installed in the bus mounted on the redundant voltage regulator mount. All seems good for now, time will tell.
Inspired me to get mine done, thanks for the installation location tip 👍

It may be an earthing issue. Did you check the condition of the earth straps from the battery to chassis and chassis to gearbox? Also, if the mounting point of the starter in the gearbox is particularly dirty/corroded, it can cause a bad earth to the starter body and cause voltage drop.

Not touched the bus since I fitted the "Hot Start Relay" over 2 weeks ago. Bus started right away (once the fuel pump primed the carbs) without depressing the clutch pedal. So it looks like this has resolved the starting problems.

Latest posts